NCO questions - Page 2

--

January 9th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

D-Top, I am guessing you are one of those NCO's who tell it how it is. At the level of a Sergeant Major, a good bit of tact much be used when with high ranking officers. Some officers do not take well to the down and dirty answer
January 9th, 2005  
DTop

I have had many "debates" with officers (mostly new lts) that can't seem to understand the difference between the officer's primary responsibility to accomplish the mission and the NCO's job of looking out for the welfare of the men. It takes some of them a while to realize that these are not mutually exclusive. Fortunately, the vast majority eventually understand that caring for the welfare of the men aids in the accomplishment of the mission. The best officers and NCOs alike realize that the soldiers (most of them) can actually be given credit for having enough intelligence to figure this out too. Once that happens, everyone is working on the same page and the unit becomes a successful team.
January 9th, 2005  
Charge 7

You NCOs will probably love me for this, and I may get some heat from fellow officers for it, but if it were up to me, it would be a requirement that you serve at least two years enlisted before becoming an officer. Many, many times in my career I was so glad I had spent those years enlisted before going to OCS.
--
January 10th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

just about every enlisted soldier, including myself, agrees with you charge 7. Most enlisted guys know which officer has enlisted experience and which ones do not.
January 10th, 2005  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
You NCOs will probably love me for this, and I may get some heat from fellow officers for it, but if it were up to me, it would be a requirement that you serve at least two years enlisted before becoming an officer. Many, many times in my career I was so glad I had spent those years enlisted before going to OCS.
I agree, and disagree at the same time.

It's important to remember that just because a man has enlisted time, doesn't mean he will be a good officer. I've met horrible officers with enlisted time who were totally worthless POS, while some of the best and most respected officers had none.

Enlisted time certainly couldn't hurt, and it will and does add a broader perspective and experience base, but it won't necessarily make a man a good officer.
January 10th, 2005  
03USMC

I agree with RndrSafe. I served with some truley great Mustangs. But I also served with some who were less than stellar.
If your a leader your a leader. Enlisted time maybe valuable but does not make one a leader.
January 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

RndrSafe, I did not by any means intend to imply that having enlisted time would gaurantee a fine officer. I only meant that it would be a damn useful tool in creating one. What an officer does or doesn't do with the lessons he or she has learned is of course open to the whole range of human reactions.
January 10th, 2005  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
RndrSafe, I did not by any means intend to imply that having enlisted time would gaurantee a fine officer. I only meant that it would be a damn useful tool in creating one. What an officer does or doesn't do with the lessons he or she has learned is of course open to the whole range of human reactions.
Please don't misunderstand me, I agree with you in premise .. I was simply expounding on the realties for our younger, less experienced members.
January 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

Understood. Charge 7 out.