Naval Intelligence

chronoserpent

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience working in Naval Intelligence (US Navy), especially from an Officer's perspective.

I want to know more about it because I'm thinking of going down that path after I'm commissioned. Since the chances of getting a restricted line officer job like NI right out of NROTC are very low, I'll probably serve a tour as Surface Warfare (my 2nd choice) then try to transfer. After some time in NI (how long depends on how much I like the Navy by then), I'll resign my commission and go work in FBI/CIA/LEO or any other civilian spot where my experience would be rewarded.

But I want to know more about NI itself. Like, what majors should I pursue in college, what different branches are there, what kind of duties you would regularly undertake, how easy it is to transfer into a civilian career, and what kind of civilian careers would fit well after NI.

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience working in Naval Intelligence (US Navy), especially from an Officer's perspective.

I want to know more about it because I'm thinking of going down that path after I'm commissioned. Since the chances of getting a restricted line officer job like NI right out of NROTC are very low, I'll probably serve a tour as Surface Warfare (my 2nd choice) then try to transfer. After some time in NI (how long depends on how much I like the Navy by then), I'll resign my commission and go work in FBI/CIA/LEO or any other civilian spot where my experience would be rewarded.

But I want to know more about NI itself. Like, what majors should I pursue in college, what different branches are there, what kind of duties you would regularly undertake, how easy it is to transfer into a civilian career, and what kind of civilian careers would fit well after NI.

Best bet is talk to a recruiter. Perhaps they can even put you in contact with someone in tht field that can help you out.

Chronoserpent
You incur a 3-5 year active service obligation after commissioning, depending on which avenue you take to get your bars. You must then serve another 3-5 years (for a total of 8 years) in the Navy Reserves. You might consider going to a civilian college, and then entering through OCS for a restricted line post. Otherwise, you will have to transfer.

Be careful in talking to recruiters, they'll tell you what you want to hear a lot of the time. A better thing to do would be to ask a Navy officer you know. He/she may not know the answer, but they'll know someone who does. Since you're a JROTC cadet, you shouldn't have any problem finding an officer to ask.

Back