My hometown

RusCan2013

Back in my introduction, I mentioned that Russian city of Ulyanovsk where I come from is a high crime area. That includes adults, the mafia and all
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI5VdLIRN98"]Russian mafia attacks a club - YouTube[/ame]

But also, what's much worse - kids. Child gangs is something Ulyanovsk is sadly known for in Russia and has been for years.

Two videos talk about it:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJTB6FGZr8s"]Criminal Ulyanovsk - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raON4dxhF5g"]Детские банды - Kids gang.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Ulyanovsk mother scan no longer be silent
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gptzGD4UvdM"]Детские банды поражают жестокостью - YouTube[/ame]
about women writing letters to Putin: "Our sons are dying in street wars"

The whole city is unofficially divided between several gangs numbering in the hundreds of young boys.
1036h.jpg

What's really sad is, these boys genuinely think they are tough badasses. They don't see how they're being manipulated. I've heard stories from my family's old friends in Ulyanovsk, how, at their local school, on the soccer field, a car drives up, some guys who certainly look like mobsters climb out and a circle of young thugs from the school quickly surrounds them, waiting for instructions for next day, drugs to sell, somebody to beat up, or maybe even kill, whatever. :(

It used to be a great city. A aircraft-and-ship-building center
TU-204-120CE.jpg
BoofB.jpg

But then, USSR fell apart, the economy crashed. And now, there is nothing. Just poverty, unemployment, addiction, and violence.

A boy walks to school in the morning in his apartment building, stepping over a puddle of blood, where somebody had been murdered the night before
DETAIL_PICTURE_577157.jpg

That's life over there.

So many young lives lost in senseless violence
img20060918antifa1.jpg

Local policeman showing his injuries after trying to break up a fight between two large groups of knife-wielding youths
a4c20f11ec8ca5e3eb32b91e0e7.jpg
c8434aeb16718d94a95977bd086.jpg

Amidst all this, more little ones growing up
shpana.jpg

I cannot help, but wonder, how many of these four friends will survive to age 20...

Government only admitted something was wrong in 2006, after a night-time fight involving over 100 youths at an empty square, where two young boys were killed, and over 20 had been hospitalised with stab or gunshot wounds.

Later, a story emerged from the director of a local school who anonymously told journalists he had been paying a local youth gang 5,000 rubles (divide by 30 for dollar figure) a month for "protection". He said when they came to him at first, he refused, laughed at them. Then, his office windows were hit by gunfire and a Molotov cocktail. He could not refuse anymore.

http://www.ogoniok.com/4982/2/

And there are countless stories.

Government is trying. They are trying to bring industries and jobs back to the city. Subsidizing education for local youths. But, the local police and officials are all bought by the mafia
043867da6a14.jpg

and the mafia has no interest in any positive result here: boys turning away from crime means loss of a cheap and expendable work and fighting force for them. They'd built a nice lifestyle off it already, expensive cars, good suits
40877742658199b29f4.jpg

Why would they want to lose that...

Just like Sergei Tsapok
156177_photo.jpeg

the mobster in Krasnodar region in Southern Russia, who is now, fortunately, in prison, who controlled the town of Kushevskaya, with his gang. They recruited local teens, 16, 15, 14, even 13 years olds to do their dirty work. The system existed for 15 years. For 15 years the whole town was held in terror by the Tsapok gang. He had managed to install his mother as Mayor, his brother as police chief, and his brother-in-law as regional legislature representative. By the time he got busted, he was himself going to run for Duma, the Federal parliament, and locals would have voted for him, would have been too scared not to. But, he went too far. Had a local farmer and his family, including three kids, murdered, their throats cut, because they refused to pay him protection money. There was an outcry. Federal investigation, arrest, etc.

In Ulyanovsk, the whole city is like that. Each district is like Kushevskaya... I don't know what could change it at this point...

Thanks for sharing your concerns about your home town.

It's a tragedy at things like this should happen anywhere, but it really strikes home when it happens where our family, relatives and friends all live. What really saddens me is what this behaviour does to the children, as it is often their suffering that turns them to a life of crime, only worsening the problem.

Some years ago I watched several videos of crime in Russia generally, this was the time when Russia was at its lowest ebb economically and many people were not being paid at all. It showed things like criminals paying off the Police to back them up in the criminal enterprises, but I thought much of that was now under control. I think that this was the time when organised crime really manage to get established and buy influence from the officials.

Unfortunately these things are all beyond the control of people like you and I, so although it might sound selfish, all you can do is give thanks that you are out of it and no longer affected by it

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your concerns about your home town.

It's a tragedy at things like this should happen anywhere, but it really strikes home when it happens we our family, relatives and friends all live. What really saddens me is what this behaviour does to the children, as it is often their suffering that turns them to a life of crime, only worsening the problem.

Some years ago I watched several videos of crime in Russia generally, this was the time when Russia was at its lowest ebb economically and many people were not being paid at all. It showed things like criminals paying off the Police to back them up in the criminal enterprises, but I thought much of that was now under control. I think that this was the time when organised crime really manage to get established and buy influence from the officials.

Unfortunately these things are all beyond the control of people like you and I, so although it might sound selfish, all you can do is give thanks that you are out of it and no longer affected by it

Organized crime didn't go anywhere, except up. Sure some unlucky ones were either killed in the mafia wars of late 90s and early 2000s, or went to prison back then. But others infiltrated into politics, became mayors, governors, members of Duma.

And, yeah, I am glad I got out of there.

Quite the unfortunate story of your hometown. Hopefully, sometime down the road, things will get sorted out.

And just a reminder that if you're going to post graphic photos (such as the police officer's wounds), please post a warning in the thread title.

Quite the unfortunate story of your hometown. Hopefully, sometime down the road, things will get sorted out.

And just a reminder that if you're going to post graphic photos (such as the police officer's wounds), please post a warning in the thread title.

Okay, thanks, will do. My bad. :)

Ruscan2013

I know organized crime is a big problem in Russia. The question is why isn't the government (which is becoming increasingly authoritative) do anything? It used to have economic problems but with all the Oil Dollars Russia now receives you'd think Moscow would do something about it now.

I am from New York and grew up in the 1970-80s when the Italian Mafia and Irish Mob ruled NYC with a Ironfist. I remember scenes like this it was much the same in places like Hell's Kitchen.

It finally ended when the government finally passed the RICO laws and threw all the mafia guys in Prison. The mob is still around but they are a shadow of their former self.

Why doesn't the Russian government, instead of chasing down a girls punk band just arrest these guys and stick them in Black Dolphin?

Ruscan2013

I know organized crime is a big problem in Russia. The question is why isn't the government (which is becoming increasingly authoritative) do anything? It used to have economic problems but with all the Oil Dollars Russia now receives you'd think Moscow would do something about it now.

I am from New York and grew up in the 1970-80s when the Italian Mafia and Irish Mob ruled NYC with a Ironfist. I remember scenes like this it was much the same in places like Hell's Kitchen.

It finally ended when the government finally passed the RICO laws and threw all the mafia guys in Prison. The mob is still around but they are a shadow of their former self.

Why doesn't the Russian government, instead of chasing down a girls punk band just arrest these guys and stick them in Black Dolphin?

Sometimes they do. They took Tsapok down... But, yeah, not often enough.

The fact is, the whole culture over there is highly criminalized, not just some cities or towns, the whole country. Like, here, in Moscow, accident, two cars hit each other. Normally, here in the West, what do you do, call maybe police, and also your insurance agent. Over there, they call their buddies. Couple dozen on each side, North Caucasians, Dagestanis I think, on one, Slavs on other. At some point, one Dagestani sprays the other side with tear gas. One of the Slavs pulls a gun
Moscow road fight - YouTube
2 men injured, the reporter said. Luckily, police arrived on the scene and arrested most of the violent ones from both sides. Found a knife on one of the Dagestanis, fell out of his pants when they were detaining him lol

****ed up country... That's all I will say.

Just reading the news from Ulyanovsk. On February 5th, a police squad detained several youths who were stealing car tires near an apartment building. They went to deliver the detained youths to jail, while one stayed behind to guard the scene of the crime, so evidence could be gathered later.

At some point, he was attacked by another group of young men, whom he fought off, but they managed to steal his AKS-74U sub-machine gun, like one on the right cop below
ce2n.jpg

A 22 year old unemployed local man was later arrested with the gun in his possession. His accomplices were still being sought when the article was written.
http://ul.kp.ru/online/news/1358786/

Crazy place...

Back