music taste & age

--
Boots

February 2nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

Topic: music taste & age

so then....inspired by off topic wanderings in another thread i thought i'd start this one;

first, what music were you into when you were 15 ~ 21? and what did people approx ten years older think of it?

now reverse the situation, what do you think of music from the younger age group.

~ and for myself? i am 25 in june. i have always been into rock music (my first CD was weezers "blue" album, 2nd was green days dookie)
eventually getting into harder tunes (metallica, korn etc) and esp local NZ rock (if you can...look for a band called Shihad *awesome*) before returning to my punk roots and more alternative bands.

while i appreciate the skills involved in hip hop and the situation that gave rise to it...i don't like it. but my strongest feelings are reserved for pop...aweful, soul-less money hunger pop.

what about your selves?
February 2nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

I walked into a music store a few days ago....
and I realized I had no idea what was what. I don't know a thing about music.
February 2nd, 2005  
rOk

First there was the grunge hype (early 90's)...then I moved up towards Sepultura and alike...then pot came along, which sparked the unthinkable until then-me liking electronic music...I'm pretty much in electronic waters nowadays-though I like a lot of other styles too...like r'n'b for instance.
--
Boots
February 2nd, 2005  
SHERMAN

well, Im 17 right now. I like a little Metal, mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica.
I really like Nirvana.
others: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Guns and Roses...
I like Classical 2, all the great ones, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, so on.

as for what my parents think, they dont much mmind, unless they tell me to turn the volume down....
February 2nd, 2005  
EuroSpike

Topic: Re: music taste & age

rap, hip hop, punk, rock, metal etc.
February 2nd, 2005  
Whispering Death

My musical tastes have been a gradual increase in musical intelligence.

I began my musical consciousness in the alternative rock scene of the mid 90s. As the uniqueness of that music died away to popular music blandness I found metal and Metallica. I enjoyed the Metallica, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin etc. until I discovered Death/Black Metal in 2001. Since then I have delved deeper and deeper into the complexities and origionality of that subgenre and am now deeply into anti-melody like Dillinger Escape Plan that completely disregardes everything that a manstream person understands as 'music'.

In short, my 3 year long serious foray into the artistic beauty of music has been the single more interesting and enjoyable adventure I have taken in my life.
February 2nd, 2005  
OutcastHuman

Well Im only 16 now and I like most alternative music. I hate rap though can't stand it and I never will like it. For people 10 years older then me I think their music is Ok as long as it isnt rap.
February 2nd, 2005  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
well, Im 17 right now. I like a little Metal, mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica.
I really like Nirvana.
others: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Guns and Roses...
I like Classical 2, all the great ones, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, so on.

as for what my parents think, they dont much mmind, unless they tell me to turn the volume down....
Not a bad list at all.

February 2nd, 2005  
Missileer

My music was rock `n roll and I mean Buddy Holly, Elvis, Del Shannon, Roy Orbison, etc.... At some time, I started listening to Janis Joplin and some of the folk singers. Peter, Paul, and Mary were probably my favorites at that time. To me, the Everly Brothers and the Righteous Brothers will never go out of style. I am 60 now and still listen to the same music, just on disks now. Add Floyd Cramer to that list. as for today, I can stand some of the Rock if it is played at low levels and uses non repetitious lyrics which can also be understood. I have no idea of any group names though.
OLD FOGEY.
February 2nd, 2005  
CABAL

Classical Music, Symphonic Music, Orchestral Music, Music Soundtrack, Contemporary Music