Multi-Tool issued in military ??

--

November 21st, 2004  
mdvaden

Topic: Multi-Tool issued in military ??

Does the Military issue multi-tools similar to Leatherman or smaller such as the Victorinox credit card size gadget with scissors, knife, etc.?
November 21st, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

in some MOS's yes, others no. I believe most MOS's that deal with the flight line do. I had a friend who was in armament, and he always flaunted the fact that his unit issued him one and mine didn't. There was also a safety poster that said not to leave a multi tool on a chopper after you get done working on it.

Another factor is how a unit spends money. Each unit only has so much cash to spend in a year. If a commander feels the need for every troop to have a milti tool, he'll make it happen.
November 21st, 2004  
MilidarUSMC

USMC doesnt issue that, never heard of one being issued, as soon as i get to the fleet im getting a gerber or something like that im a winger btw, hopefully gonna work w/ helo's
--
November 22nd, 2004  
Sea_Cadet

it's called a knife, just a knife
it has multi-purposes hehe
November 23rd, 2004  
LIPS

Topic: Re: Multi-Tool issued in military ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden
Does the Military issue multi-tools similar to Leatherman or smaller such as the Victorinox credit card size gadget with scissors, knife, etc.?
The last Unit I was with issued everyone with a leatherman type of tool but when you leave you must return it to the Q Store.

Bloody Q system
November 23rd, 2004  
mdvaden

MilidarUSMC...and Time....

I was chuckling while reading your posts because moments before I was reflecting on the imagery that movies have put in my head over the years for the military, like with the Marines.

Need to cut out a bullet? Use the knife.

Need a toothpick? Use the knife.

Need anything else? Use the knife.

I guess you could even climb a tree if you had a pair of them to dig in like a peg board.
November 28th, 2004  
Pete031

Hi, I'm Canadian army, here and everyone in the Canadian forces gets a multi-tool, we started with gerber, but because of its sliding mechanism, it created static electricity and was no good around C-4... so we now carry the SOG multi tool
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The USA may not issue one, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to issue everybody in the Armed Forces a Leatherman or something like it.
November 29th, 2004  
egoz

I know SF teams (some of them anyway) get the Mission MPK, or Multi Purpose Knife, but it's far from multi purpose. It's a titanium knife that's practically impervious to erosion. Nice piece of work, but metal is a bit soft. MOD also makes a tactical knife (CQD Mark VI Stinger) that can be used as a pry bar, utility knife, or fighting knife. They aren't exactly like the Leatherman's or Swiss Army knives, but they serve as pretty decent multi role fixed blade knives.
November 29th, 2004  
Trevor

I don't think so. I have a leatherman wave. It's quite nice.