Are movies about history a bad thing? - Page 2

View Poll Results :Are movies about history a bad thing?
Yes 1 5.00%
sometimes 9 45.00%
no 10 50.00%
don't care 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

--

August 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

I'm all for entertainment. I do think though that they should have some kind of disclaimer at the beginning of the movie. Something like the old ones that used to use years ago. What was wrong with that one?

Quote:
This is a work of fiction and any names of persons who may be alive or dead are not intended to be taken as factual unless stated otherwise...
That's not a direct quote. I'm going from memory, but you older folks will know what I'm refering to.
August 23rd, 2005  
FULLMETALJACKET

I selected sometimes. if a movie about history can give someone enough initiave to get up and research and learn something than it is a good movie. I hear they are making one about the Great Raid.
September 5th, 2005  
Bory

Movies for entertainment, Documentaries for factual history.

Movies are desgined to make money for the producer and the studio, so they gloss things up to make money. Even the ones, that labeled "Based on actual events" are glossed up, because the actual true story isn't as exciting as people hopped for.

Documentaries are usually made by people who have an in depth knowledge of the topic, and wish to educate people.
--
September 5th, 2005  
Zucchini

Clint eastwood is currently directing a movie about Iwo Jima based upon "Flags of Our Fathers".

It will be a movie, not a history of Iwo Jima.
September 5th, 2005  
phoenix80

My answer is NO when the director of the movie is Oliver Stone...

Otherwise it might be fun!
September 14th, 2005  
ironhorseredleg

I selected no, but probably sometimes would be more accurate. I know from teaching high school that often today's younger generation connect with movies a lot more than they do with a textbook. If the movie is accurate, or even intentionally inaccurate to make a point, it can serve as a great teaching tool. However, if the movie is wrong and tries to pass itself off as factual, it can do a great diservice. Of course, anyone who tries to learn history through movies is probably asking for problems anyway.