MoveOn.org needs to move on

It's nothing to do with "hate", it's more to do with "distrust". Once Generals become politicised, they cease to be trustworthy as military leaders.

You can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

Mmarsh, you don't get it.
The military's job is to execute the orders of the President. Candidates who turned down Bush's request are those who simply do not have confidence in handling the situation. General Petraeus is willing to give it a try. His job is to win the war in Iraq (whether or not this is possible is an entirely different topic) and he's not going to get that done by giving a very negative report. He's going to have to get whatever support he can get in order to do this and since he's got a crowd of people who want to cut the whole thing off, he's also got to find a way to get people to give his plan a chance. If you will accuse the report of being entirely false, then prove it. And I don't mean proof that the White House wrote it, proof that the information is indeed false. Do you see how this is an extension of his duty?
In the military Mmarsh, you are given a set of orders and objectives and you follow them. You don't debate it, you do it. You make it happen. Lawyers are given a case. Sometimes they will defend someone who is innocent, other times they will defend someone who is guilty. If you have a problem with the report and in fact have proof that the White House wrote it, then fine, go scream at the White House.
Mmarsh, that's how it works. I know to an extent I do have politics but I try not to think about it too much. No one has ever paid me to dictate policy and although I do have my opinions the order from the top comes first. My politics will show up in the next election.
The public picks the leader. The leader decides what to do. If it involves the military, the military makes sure it's done as best as possible. If the public don't like it and want a change, there's the next election. Elect new leader with different plan. New president gives the military a new set of orders. Military complies and carries out the new orders to the best of its ability.
I know in movies you see soldiers making political decisions etc. like for example, Die Hard 2... but that's not how it works in the real world.

mmarsh

In regards to your post to me.

mmarsh said:
Spartacus

In literature, Its called talking in the 3rd person.
I also had my college level writing courses.
I wasn't referring to all members or any specific one, just to those individuals who have engaged in those same hurtful slights in the past and they know who they are. If you didn't particpate, then my comments were not addressed to you.
Again I say, who here ran an ad in the NYT declaring ANYONE a traitor?? In fact did ANYONE AT ALL do such a stupid action? NO. I agree with you, up and declaring someone a traitor simply because of a disagreement is wrong, no matter who does it. But rather than say "Its ok because they did it" I am not willing to accept it from either side. Your statement was addressed to the third person "you" which included me as if we had conspired to run such an ad.
Would you really prefer I use people's names and start a flamewar? I don't think the mods would like that.
There is a difference between flaming and calling out.
It doesn't matter with he was a senator an ex-senator or not. What difference does that make? My point, is people shouldn't call people traitors and such because they disagree with a political view. That goes for the far left like MoveON as it does the Far Right like the Swift Boat Vets.

I agree to a point. When a politician's agenda puts the nations interest at stake, I consider that on the brink of treason. HOWEVER LET US NOT JUSTIFY THE AD BY POINTING FINGERS.

My friend, I dont mean this as an insult, but you are very naive. Do you remember Iran-Contra? Colonel Oliver North, fell on his sword in order to protect Reagan. Or more recently was Colin Powell's 2003 anthrax-antics at the UN. Military personnel are just as capable of lying as anybody else. As for Benedict Arnold, you said you couldn't believe that an Officer like Patreaus could ever betray us? Thats funny, I am sure George Washington thought the same thing about Arnold.

Right. Sure I may or may not be naive, but I do not think that you can judge that. As 13th put it, as soldiers, we dont ask why. As soldiers, we obey. I will do that for this president, the next president, a democrat, a republican, or an independent. Again, while the General would have this same mindset, his duty extends to what is best for his forces, the mission, and the country. In that viewscope, a single presidents reputation is minor, correct? If he lies to protect the reputation of one man, he jeopordizes what he has spent his life protecting.

I see you are ad-libbing the old left wing media myth. I'll ask you the same question as I have everybody else who persists in this falsehood. If the media is so 'LEFT' then why does it happen to be overwhelming owned by the 'RIGHT'. Rupert Murdoch, CBS, Time Warner, Disney, Clearchannel, are RIGHT-WING. ABC is owned by Disney and is also very rightwing. (Remember they are the ones who tried banning Michael Moore films in America), and Gallup too tends to lean right as well. So your cliams of biasness about both polls are totally without merit. Just because something flies in the face of your political opinion doesn't make it wrong.

Do you remember just recently when several Chief Editors and Publishers sent out memos to their news staff and published in the paper their comments about the staffers cheering about Alberto Gonzales resignation? You mean to tell me that the media does not have a left leaning bias huh? I work in the media. I see first hand daily how the machine works. While President Bush "is out stumping for..." Hillary Clinton, on the other hand, "is championing...". Until you have sat in a news room and have seen two stories come in, one positive and one negative about the administration, and the only one ever aired is the negative, you havent seen the bias. I see how facts become incorporated into an agenda. By the way, the biases I see have all been in the direction of left, as are what I see at home. I am not saying go home and watch fox news channel because they are truly fair and balanced, but rather STOP BEING SPOON FED INFORMATION BY THE MEDIA, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS. BTW "research" does not include blogs.

Did you read who actually wrote the report? It was neither Patreeaus nor Crocker. It was the White House itself. So when the White House says that the Iraqi Government works better than the Congress (which just happens to be run by the Democrats), exactly how partisan and credible do you think that is?

NO, the report was written by Patraeus. The public version was EDITED by the Pentagon (thus WH). Again, I highly recommend that you actually watch the report before drawing a conclusion on it.
And why would I trust the WH? They have lied about everything else so far.

There is an intelligent answer. You can believe they lied about everything. Florida recounts, 9/11, AFGHANISTAN, IRAQ, AG's, Rumsfield, yep every one a lie. My friend, you call me naive and yet believe that the men serving our nation have only, ONLY their own interest at heart and will lie to protect themselves, something put out by the Liberal Political Strategists.

Of Kings and pawns...

I feel there is a great danger that truth may suffer when the President asks for a General to give him a report on such a controversial subject, especially when everyone is well and truly aware of what the President wants to hear.

I dunno, but it would be a brave General who crossed his Commander in Chief, even more so if perhaps he had political desires after his retirement. A la Colin Powell.

I am not for a minute saying that this is the case, but it is a distinct possibility.

Or maybe the partisan split in the government is currently so great that the only hope in hell of him ever getting the resources to do his job is to cooperate with the Republicans entirely. This is possible since one side seems so determined to lose in Iraq.

This is something i have to say over and over. The military's job is not policy. YOU civilians (and some military) vote for the leader who dictate policy. You got an issue with the policy? Go talk to the government. Send a letter to the President, have a candle hippie:cen: fest for all I care. But the military's job is NOT policy it's just doing what the democratically elected government tells it to do.

done it, was completely ignored. ;)

interesting point, bulldogg.

Last edited by a moderator:
McCain: MoveOn Should Be 'Thrown Out'

Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 6:47:31 pm PDT

John McCain saying: MoveOn.org should be “thrown out of this country.”

Never happen, of course. It’s a George Soros enterprise.

CBS News captured the exchange by McCain: (51 seconds)

Last edited:
I thought the political forum was closed.

Everything can be given a political angle by some. :-D

eww.gif

Quick,...Panic! panic! Run around in circles, there's Reds under the Bed and Islamofascists in every cupboard. We're all gonna die...!!!!

Last edited:
You guys brought this one up for discussion (political or not).

Moveon.org has absolutely no control over the Democratic Party and the Democratic Party doesn't own or control moveon.org.

It is the height of the ridiculousnous/sublime - Republicans are blaming Democrats for an advertisement placed by moveon.org (an active political organisation that has a very definite point of view/slant). What makes this so hypocritical, is the proven fact *Swift Boat Vets* did the very same thing with a Democratic candidate as moveon.org has done with a Republican supporter/hand picked commander - where were the Republicans when this happened. The ONLY Democrat who seems to have questioned Gen Petraeus' honesty was Hillary Clinton and even then, she didn't call him a liar nor did she say he betrayed the US ... what she questioned was the completeness of the report (as others have done) - some very important data and information was glossed over or not included.

Was it wrong of moveon.org to have worded the advertisement as they did?

I will leave that to you to answer ... as far as I am concerned, it was enlightening to say the least, to look at was glossed over or not included - I don't know IF it was intentional or just an accidental omission ... after all, Petraeus is a General and supposedly an honorable man.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

So? What gives? If they're such numbskulls, why not just ignore them the way most people ignore Ann Coulter?

I have a couple of thoughts.

And this is my own opinion. Frankly I don't find Patreaus at all convincing, just more of the same BS we have been spoon fed. I got into a disagreement with USMC03 a few weeks ago, unfortunately I was right. Its clear that this whole SURGE business was a political whitewash to save whats left of the Pres reputation. Although I was wrong to say Patreaus would cover Bush's rear end.

To put a point on the discourse you mention was in relation to your personal attack on a General Officer's integrity and character not the surge.

Screw it. I'm going to Alaska to set up my own country.

You'll get cash rewards if u move to Alaska :D

To put a point on the discourse you mention was in relation to your personal attack on a General Officer's integrity and character not the surge.

One wonders why the left feels entitled to "assasinate" the character of a brave and honest gentleman like Gen. David Petraeus when most of them would never risk their lives for their own country!?

Back