Most underated? - Page 5

--

January 31st, 2005  
KC72

What about people who arn`t leaders like Skorzeny or "paddy" Mayne
January 31st, 2005  
Vitaly

I have an unbelieveable amount of respect for Otto, but I hardly consider him unsung/unknown. Also it is true that Konev is overshadowed, but Doppleganger is 100% correct in that he can't be compared to the likes of Guderian. Plus Skorzeny was a major wasn't he? But speaking of Otto, how about the illustrious Josef “Sepp” Dietrich?
February 5th, 2005  
KC72

OK then in no order
  1. Slim(very underatted)
  2. suboti(sp)
  3. Konev
--
February 5th, 2005  
AsianAmerican

I would have to say Ho Chi Minh and his fellow associates even though i hate the guy.
February 5th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Ho Chi Minh was a politician. His main general was General Giap. And that man IS famous.
February 7th, 2005  
Ashes

I go along with Dowding and Kiwi Air Vice Marshal Keith Park, commander of 11th fighter group, as often overlooked for their great effort in the battle of Britain.

But the Germans had next to no chance of invading, R.A.F. or no R.A.F.

Others that perhaps should get a mention....

Sir John Monash, of Australia.
Montgomery said he thinks he was the best allied commander of the first world war.

Charles X11 of Sweden.
Won battles against big odds against the Russians but, as others that followed, eventually succumbed.

King Adolphus Gustavus of Sweden.
Revolutionized military tactics in the 30 years war.

Vo Nguyen Giap of Vietnam.
He was a fighter who could go the distance, fighting almost non stop from the 1940's till 1975, and defeating France and the U.S.A.

Not a bad effort.
February 8th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Other than the fact that I always forget his name, I think that Giap gets much of the credit he is due. Amazing guerilla tactician. Amazing across the board.
February 9th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Giap defeated U.S, not in term of causalties right?
February 9th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexybeast
Giap defeated U.S, not in term of causalties right?
The NVA and VC took many many times more casualties. We lost Vietnam in the press room when the American media discovered that sabotaging American war efforts was a good way to make money.
July 30th, 2005  
LeEnfield

My choice....Orde Wingate. Here is a real old ball. he helped defeat the Italians in North Africa and captured huge numbers of them. He also help in the formation of the LRDG. He went off to Burma and set up the Chindits to take the fight to Japanese. He was killed in a plane crash in Burma and is buried in Arlington Cemetery.
Next Bomber Harris.... Who reequipped the RAF bomber force and made them a real force to reckoned with and helped tear the heart out of Germany. Not only did he bring in area bombing, but he also brought in more pin point tactics, like sinking the Tirpitz, the Dam Buster raids, destroying the sub pens with tall boy bombs, and smashing many viaducts and tunnels with the same weapon. He got a force in the finish that could take out the walls of a prisons and release the the prisoners. Also the American General Lemay who took over the bombing campaign against the Japanese, took with him to this conflict many of bomber Harris tactics and used them well against the Japanese.
Another Great Leader must be Wellington, lets face it he never lost a battle. And what about Marlborough his actions leading a European force against the French was spectacular, there again he was Churchill's great, great grandfather.