Most Powerful Nation Ever...

--

May 17th, 2004  
IrishWizard

Topic: Most Powerful Nation Ever...

Who do you think has been the most powerful nation, at one time, in the history of mankind? Doesn't matter what era, just who you think was the most powerful and influential in its time.

I think, if going by just landmass its easily the Mongolian Empire. They could of conquered the world if the Generals hadn't of gone back home when they heard Genghis Khan died.
May 17th, 2004  
Mark Conley

Gee..if it was just all round powerful..id have to say england with its navy. Britanica practically controlled the seas for 300 years..colonised, and had a saying that the sun never set on the britsh empire.

Yep, id say England or Great Britain.
May 17th, 2004  
IrishWizard

Yeah that was my second choice. They just were so powerful but another nation that comes into mind is the Roman Empire. They influenced the world greatly and were very powerful in there time. Its pretty crazy to think of how diverse some of the most powerful nations in there time were. You have the barbaric, deadly Mongolians. Then the precise and no mercy Romans. Then the perfection, and exactness of military with the British. Now the Americans who just kick ass :P
--
May 17th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light....

May 17th, 2004  
Achilles

Id have vto say great Britain, i mean, believe or not, they came closer to total world dominance than any other nation in history
May 17th, 2004  
Redneck

Yeah, the Pax Britania was a pretty nice example of peace through superior firepower.
May 17th, 2004  
BmrSooner451

I'd say it's a tossup between the old UK, and the USA/USSR. Yes the Royal Navy commanded the seas for like 3 centuries, but they never had the ability to start the process of "Global Extinction" in 15 minutes
May 17th, 2004  
Marksman

roman empire,they DID conqusted a half of the world
May 17th, 2004  
Achilles

correction, marksman, the roman empire was large, but it was for the mast part confined to the meditteranian erea, and Briton
May 17th, 2004  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by about face
Id have vto say great Britain, i mean, believe or not, they came closer to total world dominance than any other nation in history
If the United States wanted, we could have had almost total world dominance after World War II. However, since we are not like the Romans or Age of Imperialism Brits, we decided to give the land back.