Most Powerful Nation Ever... - Page 8

--

September 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Baker, I've been making the case for Rome all along. The Roman Empire is unique in human history for 2 important reasons:
1.) They were completely unsurpassed technologically and militarily for most of their existence. They had no rival that could endanger them until the very later years of the empire.
2.) They maintained that supremacy longer than anyone. Has anyone EVER been so incomparably dominant for such a long duration?
September 14th, 2004  
SAINT

Yes.. I think the Roman Empire was the greatest at its time.
September 14th, 2004  
Damien435

Actually, Rome was conquered in the early years of it's existance, I believe it was the Etruscans, but that was when Rome was still just one city, not an empire, also at the same time as Greece.
--
September 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
most of their existence
Damien, I believe I made sufficient allowance for that in my post.
September 24th, 2004  
spymaster

Topic: Hm

The most powerful nation ever?
Interesting one: Great Britain clearly had the most powerful and greatest empire the world has ever known bringing peace, democracy, industrialisation, human rights, legal institutions and cricket to the world.

but actually, I would have to say the current American (Empire even?) is the most powerful nation ever simply because of their nuclear capability. Noone in history can compare..unless you count the Jews with the Ark of the Covenant?
October 9th, 2004  
riathamus

you can't just send a nuke to any country you want. because with the current evolution of technology soon nearly ever country will have the power to destory the earth. but if the US could even think about sending a nuke to a country they would be stopped by the UN. you can't just press a button and immediately send a nuclear weapon to any country that you choose. the decision has to be reviewed by the UN.

as for the most powerful country ever in existance england controlled over 1/4 of the globe. now ime sure you all know how tiny the UK is. and to even imagine that a country like that could control 1/4 of the world develop the most powerful country at the moment the US and put English as the most spoken language I think that thats pretty amazing.

with people such as sherlock holmes ,william shakespeare and isaac newton and even now stephen hawkins.

its a fact that the US is the most powerful country but not the most powerful continent. europe.

sometimes i hate alot of americans who obviously believe that they could destroy the entire would at the push of a button.
October 9th, 2004  
Shadowalker

The US copuld, just launch all there nukes and create a nuclear winter. But then hey would kill themselves so it would be pretty stupid!
October 9th, 2004  
riathamus

no they couldn't not just like that without getting permission from the UN and even if by some miracle they did. they would be stopped before they reached there destination by computers
October 9th, 2004  
Shadowalker

I know, i know! Theres no chance in hell of them destroying the world on purpose!
October 9th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

How many technologies can you list that the United States has that nobody else has? Rome could have listed a large list of them.