Most Inaccurate Bombing raid in History?

Not so fast. Early in WW11 the Lutwaffe took out number 13 Burwell Road London, my house, with a direct hit, instead of Buckingham Palace.

They tried again on a later date, and instead hit number 5 Station St, London, my home again.

And on both occasions the King was not even likely to be at home, or in London, perhaps not even in the country.

IMHO - this wins hands down for poor eyesight - neither of my homes looked like Buckingham Palace, and my Dad looked nothing like the King.:hide:

This thread is getting better by the day. Here is another little add-on to the above concerning the immediate present.

No 5 Station Street, Stratford, London; this street never rose again; it was a railway complex and has remained so; all that was left of those houses was a black hole where they used to be.

UNTIL NOW - COINCIDING WITH THE RESURRECTION OF THIS THREAD!
:thumb:

Next year's Olympic Stadium, village etc. is rising in this precise area, which is getting the ol' big, big lift. It was a very poor area in 1939.
So you guys will always have a hook to hang a personal memory of WW11.
Give it a thought as USA breaks the tape to win the 100yds relay.:lol:

And here it is, surely the only remaining pic. (of the rear ) of 5 Station Street, late 1939 ( see the black-out.) Complete with Del Boy and Mum (not Grandma). We didn't see each other hardly at all for the next 5 years or so.

Attachments

• Grandma Kate & Derek (aged 4) 1939 - Just before War broke o.jpg
    Grandma Kate & Derek (aged 4) 1939 - Just before War broke o.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Del Boy

I will be thinking about this, if I get a ticket to the stadium. Depends if my application is successful!

PS I wouldn't bet on the US winning the 100 relay if the Jamaicans manage to get the batton round! The 400 though is probably a certainty.

Last edited:
Del Boy

I will be thinking about this, if I get a ticket to the stadium. Depends if my application is successful!

PS I wouldn't bet on the US winning the 100 relay if the Jamaicans manage to get the batton round! The 400 though is probably a certainty.

Best of luck with the application Perseus. It will be the rising of this area, which took so much and provided so much of the resistance to Hitler so defiantly, since WW11. A lot of WW11 rubble lies under there, with soccerl pitches on top, masses of 'em, including my old home pitch; not the famous Eton Manor club, but the team that loved to give them a good rub-a-dubbing, Old Ford Methodist Boys Club - I reckon that is who should inherit the Olympic Stadium after the great event; after all, the best player I ever saw to this day was in that team - Kenny Bennett.

And yes, 400 must be a banker for the US I guess. (Rhyme, see what I did there? ) Hope you make it, then I can look out for you too, on television. Wear a Tottenham Hotspur shirt for the sake of sheer classy stuff - one with PERSEUS on the back, and I'll raise a glass.:cheers:

Last edited:
As the unfortunate and embarrasing bombing in OP's post were conducted by a lone Withley on a night raid, I'd say the price for the most inaccurate bombing raid in history should be awarded to the USAAF for the daylight bombing of Schaffhausen.

1. april (no joke) 1944 approximately 50 B-24 Liberators misstook Schaffhausen for Ludwigshafen and dropped their bombs, killing between 40 and 100 civilians, and making 4 million dollars worth of damage to the city.

A daylight bombing raid, and they did not only bomb the wrong city, but also the wrong country, and a neutral country on top of that.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Schaffhausen is in Switzerland.

How would that top bombing a friendly airfield? sure the USAAF bombed the wrong country but so did the Brits and in fact they bombed an airfield in their own country.

How would that top bombing a friendly airfield? sure the USAAF bombed the wrong country but so did the Brits and in fact they bombed an airfield in their own country.

Well...
1 British Withley on a night raid vs 50 B-24 Liberators on a daylight bombing raid.

If you add the inefficiency of the Withley against the massive damage the USAAF managed, I think we have a winner.

Here's my addition:

Destruction of Royan, France

During World War II, two German fortresses defended the Gironde Estuary: Gironde Mündung Nord (or Royan) and Gironde Mündung Süd (or La Pointe de Grave). These constituted one of the Atlantic "pockets" which the Germans held on to grimly well after the liberation of the rest of France. In the early hours of January 5, 1945, planes of the Royal Air Force, having been told that nobody was left in Royan but Germans and collaborators, bombed the centre of Royan out of existence in two raids. The blame for this raid is usually attributed to Free French General de Larminat.[1]
The Allied operation against the German forces on Île d'Oléron and at the mouth of the Gironde River, began with a general naval bombardment at 0750 on April 15, 1945, some 10 months after D-Day. For five days the US naval task force assisted the French ground forces with naval bombardment and aerial reconnaissance in the assault on Royan and the Pointe de Grave area at the mouth of the Gironde. American B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator aircraft carried out aerial bombing missions, including extensive and pioneering use of napalm, finishing the destruction of January 5.
More than 3000 French civilians were in the town, of whom half were killed or injured in the air raids.
Blandford writes, "There was a Free French commander with the US sixth army outside Royan, who was not informed until too late. The message was in French and the American signalman could not understand it. It took four hours to get it translated".
Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States was one of the many bombardiers that attacked Royan during World War Two and later wrote on the topic.

Oh yeah, the RAF aircraft were manned by FREE FRENCH crews!!!

When I was there in 1958 thru 1960, Royan was rebuilt because the FRENCH demanded they USA and Britain pay for it as it was destroyed by their aircraft and munitions. AND WE DID!!!!!

Of all the little towns and villages I visited in southern France, Royan was the only one that didn't have bullet holes from the Hundred Years War or Napoleon's times.
But, the inhabitants were as rude, unwashed and unfriendly as any other place I visited in my least favorite country in Europe. :salute2:

Here's my addition:

Destruction of Royan, France

Oh yeah, the RAF aircraft were manned by FREE FRENCH crews!!!

When I was there in 1958 thru 1960, Royan was rebuilt because the FRENCH demanded they USA and Britain pay for it as it was destroyed by their aircraft and munitions. AND WE DID!!!!!

Of all the little towns and villages I visited in southern France, Royan was the only one that didn't have bullet holes from the Hundred Years War or Napoleon's times.
But, the inhabitants were as rude, unwashed and unfriendly as any other place I visited in my least favorite country in Europe. :salute2:

So, even being bombed by their own did noting to improve...

France fills me with contradicting emotions, I've seen their best, and I've seen their worst...
Even though their best is doing an outstanding job, they have a lot to catch up with to make up for their worst. :sick:

I found some beautiful places there. Ate some very good food - had the best Asian meals from some cooks from Indochina. And, actually found some good wines - although I much prefer those from Germany and Austria.

But, couldn't abide the people!
:sick:

Back