Most impressive army during the middle ages?

View Poll Results :which one was the most impressive?
English longbow men 6 20.00%
Spanish conquistadors 2 6.67%
French knights 2 6.67%
Mongol saddle shooters 7 23.33%
Japanese samurais 8 26.67%
Egyptian Mamluks 1 3.33%
Turkish janissaries 2 6.67%
Swiss pikemen 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

--

July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Topic: Most impressive army during the middle ages?

Which one was it?
July 21st, 2004  
SHERMAN

Israeli Tankers, acctually.
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

During the middle ages I mean.
--
July 21st, 2004  
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman105
Israeli Tankers, acctually.
July 21st, 2004  
IrishWizard

What about the English Highlanders?... Or Napoleons Royal Guard...
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWizard
What about the English Highlanders?... Or Napoleons Royal Guard...
During the middle ages. That's after the renaissance.
July 21st, 2004  
OldArmyDoc

Topic: What part of the Middle Ages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
During the first 3 centuries AD and last two BC, I would vote for the Roman Legions and the Irish Fianna (who butchered the Roman Legions.)

In the Early Middle Ages the Huns were very effective defeating the Roman Legions forcing them to emply barbarian cavalry. The Byzantine Army was impressive in the 6th Century only to be swept away by the Ummayad Arab Light Cavalry of the 7th and 8th Centuries. In the 10th to 12th Centuries the Norman Knight controlled the battlefield until Agincourt when the Bowmen took prominence. Meanwhile the mounted Mongol mounted archers of the 13th Centuries were amost undefeatable. Then the Swiss Pikemen of the Habsburg Armies gained prominence until their defeat and annhilation at Rocroi. The Ottoman Sultanate's Armies using gun powder artillery, excellent cavalry, and the elite Jannissary Troops was dominant the 14th-17th Centuries.

OldArmyDoc
July 21st, 2004  
Young Winston

The German Army. Tank for tank, gun for gun, plane for plane, man for man, and general for general, they would have belted any other army at the time if things were all even. In 1944 and 1945 they weren't but that was Hitler's fault.
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Topic: Re: What part of the Middle Ages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsj
During the first 3 centuries AD and last two BC, I would vote for the Roman Legions and the Irish Fianna (who butchered the Roman Legions.)

In the Early Middle Ages the Huns were very effective defeating the Roman Legions forcing them to emply barbarian cavalry. The Byzantine Army was impressive in the 6th Century only to be swept away by the Ummayad Arab Light Cavalry of the 7th and 8th Centuries. In the 10th to 12th Centuries the Norman Knight controlled the battlefield until Agincourt when the Bowmen took prominence. Meanwhile the mounted Mongol mounted archers of the 13th Centuries were amost undefeatable. Then the Swiss Pikemen of the Habsburg Armies gained prominence until their defeat and annhilation at Rocroi. The Ottoman Sultanate's Armies using gun powder artillery, excellent cavalry, and the elite Jannissary Troops was dominant the 14th-17th Centuries.

OldArmyDoc
I think that there are some inaccurcies. The arab calvary was not that effective which some people might think. They were defeated at poitiers by the french heavy infantry in heavy armour. And after wards the french had more raids on them than they did on the french. The mongol horsemens were defeated at Grobnok and Kladsko and suffered very heavy losses and hit the mongol force hard and reduced it by great numbers. That was the true reason I believe that the mongols withdrew. The Ottomans was much weaker than the europeans. The europeans during the late middle ages have grown way more powerful than any other culture. They also had cannons and handguns plus way better armour, bows naval technology castles and Siege skills. The swiss pike men could be defeated by any combined forces. alone, Longbows, Arquebusiers, crossbow men would have defeated them
July 21st, 2004  
dsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
The German Army. Tank for tank, gun for gun, plane for plane, man for man, and general for general, they would have belted any other army at the time if things were all even. In 1944 and 1945 they weren't but that was Hitler's fault.
Kept telling people, this is about the middle ages and renaissance.