Most Devastating and Widespread War before the 20th Century? - Page 2

November 5th, 2004  
But the American Civil War (I assume that is what you are talking about.) was not widespread, it was limited to America, granted Britain and France almost became involved, but if that happened we would likely not be talking now becuase the USA and Germany would have won WWI.
November 5th, 2004  
would definatly be the napoleonic wars, there were naval battles in all 3 oceans, battles across the whole of europe, america was involved, so it was pretty widespread.
November 6th, 2004  
I think that the Spanish conquest of Mexico takes the cake before ww1. Originally, the Spaniards only killed a few thousand in actual combat. But after they settled, the natives population went from something like 17 million to only 3 million 20 years later. This wasn't from executions, but from forced slave labor and mainly disease.

Same with US/Native population. The English settlers killed untold millions by spreading smallpox and many other diseases. I dont know if this counts in this thread though.
November 8th, 2004  
The Crusades (I&II), very widespread, with involvement from almost all of western europe, and the persian empire. Huge amount of background involving the vatican, secret societies such as the Priory Of Sion and the Knights Of The Templar. It was a very a far reaching conflict for the time, and long running as well.
October 4th, 2005  
I think the crusades because it lasted around 2 centuries.
Nothing motivates people like religon
Ex:The pyramids which were the tallest wonders of the world until the 18th century because the Egyptians believed so strongly in the pharaoh
The crusades were fought because muslims forbited christians from entering Jerusalem and the whole point of the war was getting Jerusalem
Al qieda thinks their fighting a holy war by killing themselves and innocent people
There is thousands of examples
October 4th, 2005  
Arab invasion of Iran (PERSIA) in 7-8 AD resulting in death of thousands of Persians who refused to become muslims!