Most decisive battle in WW2?

View Poll Results :Most decisive battle in WW2?
Battle of Stalingrad 34 33.33%
Battle of Kursk (Operation Citadel) 15 14.71%
Battle of Moscow 10 9.80%
Battle of Leningrad 0 0%
Battle of El Alamein 3 2.94%
Operation Overlord (Battle of Normandy) 17 16.67%
Battle of Midway 11 10.78%
Other 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 20th, 2005  
Farseer

Topic: Most decisive battle in WW2?

What do you think, which one of so many battles was most decisive during WW2. I put into poll those battles which one I think were important, but if you like to give your own ideas feel free to put comment.

First I think that war was lost because of lot of things. Axis powers had too many flanks to concentrate their forces and too little war production (especially before Speer became Minister of Armaments for Germany). Still production of Soviet Union, USA and Great Britain was just too much for Germany.

I think that final blow for Axis powers in Europe was failed attack in Kursk. After that it was too late to stop Soviets before Western Allies arrived to Italy and in next year into France.

EDIT: Well, seemingly poll don't have Battle of Midway one of it's options as it should. Well if someone wants to vote it he can mention it in reply.
April 20th, 2005  
Doppleganger

IMO the Battle of Kursk decided the outcome of WW2 in Europe. Simply put, before Kursk the Germans had the strategic initiative, despite Stalingrad; after Kursk it passed to the Soviet Union who would never give it up. The Battles of Moscow and Stalingrad were big decisive battles, but the key point that distinguishes them from Kursk is that afterwards the Germans still had options. After Kursk they only had one - retreat.

By the time Operation Overlord was launched the war had already been decided for almost a year.
April 20th, 2005  
behemoth79

I agree with Doppleganger. Kursk was the turning point in the war. If Germany was going to rebound at all it would have to come from a qucik defeat of Russia in order to get te troops back on the western front. Kursk was a long and extremely costly battle for Germany. So many tanks were lost that even if they did eventually beat Russia, they would have had no chance of recovering in the west.
--
April 20th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
By the time Operation Overlord was launched the war had already been decided for almost a year.
So very true, but this will not stop a whole lot of Americans from voting for it anyways. Don't expect for there to be a logical explanation, because if you have any idea what you're talking about, Overlord shouldn't even be on the list.
April 20th, 2005  
Farseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
So very true, but this will not stop a whole lot of Americans from voting for it anyways. Don't expect for there to be a logical explanation, because if you have any idea what you're talking about, Overlord shouldn't even be on the list.
I was expecting this. Reason for that why Overlord is on that list is because some people still thinks it was important battle to crush Axis. And I wanted to see how many in here truly thinks so. For American, I can understand that they don't want to give the credit for victory to communists and Stalin. Neither would I if in that position.
April 20th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Quote:
It would be nice for the Operation Overlord voters to give reasons why they voted that way though. Being British I suppose I should vote for D-Day too - if I didn't know any better I probably would. As far as the average Brit (and Yank and Canuck too) is concerned D-Day won the war.
April 21st, 2005  
MontyB

Quote:
IMO the Battle of Kursk decided the outcome of WW2 in Europe. Simply put, before Kursk the Germans had the strategic initiative, despite Stalingrad; after Kursk it passed to the Soviet Union who would never give it up. The Battles of Moscow and Stalingrad were big decisive battles, but the key point that distinguishes them from Kursk is that afterwards the Germans still had options. After Kursk they only had one - retreat.

I pretty much agree with this but I still chose Stalingrad because I think it gave them the knowledge and confidence to beat the Germans. At Stalingrad it could have gone either way the sides were balanced at Kursk the balance had tipped Russia's way.

I also agree with his D-Day comments.
April 21st, 2005  
MadeInChina

kursk definetly

americans and brits troops should thank the russians a million times because german crack units got used up in russia instead in western front
April 21st, 2005  
DTop

Farseer, you could/should have just as easily included The Battle of Britain, The Fall of France, and Midway if you were really wanted to talk about WWII in its entirety. After all, the war was not quite over after hostilities ceased in the ETO, was it? Is it that you are merely trolling for D-Day responses? I hope not because I'll have to lock this thread if it was. We don't allow trolling or country bashing.
April 21st, 2005  
Farseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop
Farseer, you could/should have just as easily included The Battle of Britain, The Fall of France, and Midway if you were really wanted to talk about WWII in its entirety. After all, the war was not quite over after hostilities ceased in the ETO, was it? Is it that you are merely trolling for D-Day responses? I hope not because I'll have to lock this thread if it was. We don't allow trolling or country bashing.
Well, Midway was included, but seemingly I did forgot to add it as "option" and that is why I asked anyone who would like to vote it to mention about it in reply. And for D-Day, I have consulted with many people from different countries and it seems to be that those who knows most about ww2 usually says that Kursk or Stalingrad was turning point and those who have only limited knowledge says either D-Day or Stalingrad, depending on where they are from. It's nothing wrong to think that D-Day were important or even decisive battle, but I would like to know why it was so important.

And for Battle of Britain and Fall of France, yes they were important points in war, but I wished mainly to ask in which battle was most as turning point of war.