The most contreversial operation of WW2 - Page 4

--

August 27th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

I'm trying to remember, i haven't read it since junior high.

But i will get it for you, just give me some time
August 27th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Okay, if you say so, but I beg to differ. The CIA, as we know it today, as independent intelligence agency did not come about until the early 1960s – I am unsure, but I will say 1963 or 1964. I do think you are likely talking about the National Security Act of 1947. And while this did form a central intelligence agency controlled by national security council – it was not truly an “agency” as it is seen today and it certainly is not controlled by NSC. In fact the military continued to handle most of their intelligence until well after the Korean conflict with the FBI keep the civilian intelligence.
August 27th, 2004  
yurry

If I were an allied comander I wouldn't want Hitler dead to soon as then the Soviets would overrun Europe fast if we wouldnt yet have a foothold in Europe, as at that time the etrocities werent known to the allies yet.

I'm sayng these because if the allies were to kill Hitler there would be a power struggle maybe even a civil war in Germany because the oposition would not be prepared. And a nations front lines don't behave so good when it is in civil war (imagine Russia in 1917).

When Staufenberg blew his briefcase in the Hitlerbunker it was only the tip of the iceberg. Minutes after the atempt the oposing generals broadcasted Hitlers death and tried to asume control of the govermant. They were hoping on names like Rommel to get the peoples trust and support to prevent a civil war, that is also one of the main reasons why most of them were executed so swiftly as they imedietly exposed themsefs.

Now back on topic I have another couple of suggestions:

1.) Dunkerque as the Germans let the Brits escape.
2.) Leningrad for not taking the city on the run.

So its not only allies
--
August 27th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

Yeah, that is why i think we didn't attack Hitler because then they might have a Civil war
August 28th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Unlikly that somone could overcome the German Military, any rebellion would be put down...
August 28th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

Well actually the French resistance did really kick the crap out of the Nazi's, they did more damage then the French's standing army.

the resistance was only a militia.
August 28th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Yea, but only on a limited level, Im talking about the full wieght of the Heer being pulled from Russia If such a coup ever went down, and nobodies overcoming that easilly, especially not some poorly armed civilians.
August 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Throw on top of it that Hitler built such a potent police state, its unlikely anyone would have bothered to try revolting. If they did revolt, they'd die very quickly and all evidence of a rebellion would have been wiped from memory.
August 29th, 2004  
Canadian Kodiak

Who's to say that a civil war would only had been civilians? While they likely would not have stood a chance, it seems to me that there was the very real possibility of it having turned out military on military, with the German forces and generals split. In that situation either side could have won, and the cost to the armed forces would likely have been attrocious so long as neither side was willing to step down or until both sides saw and rememberred that they had enemies outside their own border aswell.

As for the most controversial operation, I don't know if it had a name, so it could have already been mentioned, but so far, it seems that the German bombing of British cities has not come up. It may just be that this is because it probably was not so much of a controversy but rather more just a complete failure, but I think it atleast deserves mention.
August 29th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
German bombing of British cities has not come up
What, the London Blitz?

Well anyways, the bombing campaign of the USA and the UK managed to intentially kill a lot more civilians that he Germans ever managed to do. Had nothing to do with the Germans not wanting to return the favor of course.