The most contreversial operation of WW2 - Page 2

--

August 20th, 2004  
yurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurry
Skip the genocides this time, just the military operations!
We can open a topic only about war crimes etc.

So altough
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Germany has too damn many to count, but between the Holocaust, the Einsatztruppen and other such things, they handily outdid everyone involved. Of course, many of the Soviet Unions atrocities got "handed off" to Germany and I don't know if we'll ever have a true accounting for them.
this guys were the worst skip'em this time

I also remembered something else - at the end of the war Hitler gave an order to destroy all German heavy industry and thankfully the order was never carried out, just imagine Germany as a one big farm these days
August 20th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

My bad.
August 21st, 2004  
IrishWizard

Baatan Death March. Japanese soldiers knew exactly what they were doing and showed no mercy.
--
August 21st, 2004  
silent driller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
Yes, but it was still "controversial". And that my friend, is the topic at hand
As far as that goes, the Manhatten Project is STILL a much argued about subject. This is definitely the most CONTROVERSIAL operation of WWII.
August 23rd, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Well, at least the dropping the bomb part of it, but I agree driller.
August 24th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Yurry, as far as the most “controversial” operation of World War II, I will assume you are referring to the Allied Forces? If this were the case, my choices would be 1) Normandy Invasion; 2) Operation Market Garden; 3) Operation Dragoon; and 4) Battle of Berlin. The Russian defeat of Berlin was inevitable for they vastly outnumbered the Germans in all areas. And with these numbers a “siege” would have been the ideal military strategy. However, Stalin’s eagerness to win the Battle for Berlin fueled by hate and marked by atrocities, was among the most controversial operations with an end result that was unpredictably bloody.
August 26th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Battle of Berlin was just par for the course. More Russians die because they push the offensive unnecessarily and get lots of their soldiers killed pointlessly. Ever major operation undertaken by the Soviets has potetial for be most controversial.
August 27th, 2004  
David Hurlbert

Godofthunder, from that perspective you make a very valid point.
August 27th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

We never assassinated Hitler, we could have, but we didn't, and that really was dumb.
August 27th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Jason, Hitler was a nut about Private Security, It would of been very difficult, remember his own Generals tried to kill him a number of times (Most famously of course the July 20 plot)

Hitler even caried a steel plate In his Hat that could stop a rifle round.