More info should be required for membership - Page 4

--

December 20th, 2005  
Chief Bones

I would ask - what information is mandatory? It's been a while and I forget whether there were any fields which were mandatory.

If you are seeking input, I would suggest at a minimum:

MANDATORY
Name/Nickname.
A 'PM' address. (Does not have to be public).
Age.
Country of origin.
If military or ex-military.... Service branch and service date(s) and whether it is active or ex-military (to be posted) . (This is after all a military forum).
If civilian - Job/job title (to be posted).
Sex (M/F).
Other information would be voluntary. (Understood would be available via profiles).

I realize I am not a moderator but the above seems reasonable.
December 20th, 2005  
Redleg

New members must enter:
Username
valid e-mail
country
military status
The rest is optional.

Most of the profile fields were "lost" when we switched boards, so that could be the reason why many members have almost blank profiles now.
December 20th, 2005  
bulldogg

I was going off RenderSafe's post where he said an introduction was "mandatory"? Right, wrong, changed??
--
December 20th, 2005  
Redleg

It's highly appreciated (and recommended) that new members posts an intro.
It's also stated in the welcoming e-mail.
December 20th, 2005  
bulldogg

Roger that boss, thanks for the clarification.
December 20th, 2005  
rotc boy

what if you made it so that you had to post in the welcoming section before you could post anywhere else? possible?
December 20th, 2005  
Welshwarrior

There is no bomb proof method of ascertaining the credentails of any new posters, the more experienced posters, those serving and retired have a radar for for spotting the 'Walts'
'Walts' generally seem to want people to believe that they are SF, Airborne or Marines, never a cook or a postal courier, they have also served in nearly every conflict since the dawn of man. A ' Walt' who posted on one of the Brit Mil sites had a great record of hot spots that he had been to, but his math wasn't too good. To carry out all his supposed active service assignments he would have had to enlist in the Para Regt when he was 13 years old. He was sorted!
December 21st, 2005  
Redleg

We've had a few "Walts" in here already as well, but I believe (hope) that most of them has been sorted out.

As you said, it's quite easy to spot them after a few posts..
December 21st, 2005  
bulldogg

My favourite was the one I read about... F117 pilot and flying Blackhawks... female even... like 03 says, what a maroon.