Missle shield cancelled

Whether missile shield was a good idea or not is one thing but this is not good in terms of instilling confidence in America. It puts a lot of countries in a very awkward spot and may even force them to appease the Russians (because any resistance without US support would lead to their capitulation).
With the missile shild put on hold, Obama better have a good replacement lined up because the Russians are not putting on a very nice face about this whole thing.

But it pissed off the Russians anyway and I think regardless of who it was really intended for, its capability against a Russian aggression was always in the plans as well.

Correct me if im wrong, but werent there ten of those anti-ICBM missiles, right?

You know, I doubt it would have done much against Russia if they got a grab of their vodka and started invading. I was under the impression that their nuke stockpile was about i dont know more than a few thousand warheads?

Yeah... which is kinda worse for the allies because the message sent would be "we got our butts covered now so you're on your own!"

Whether missile shield was a good idea or not is one thing but this is not good in terms of instilling confidence in America. It puts a lot of countries in a very awkward spot and may even force them to appease the Russians (because any resistance without US support would lead to their capitulation).
With the missile shild put on hold, Obama better have a good replacement lined up because the Russians are not putting on a very nice face about this whole thing.

Agreed. I heard something about a mobile system but haven't heard any details. As Putin has been getting cozy with Iran and Chavez as of late I would hope that there was a sort of give and take and this isn't being done to appease Russia or because it was a plan implemented by the last administration.

I think it had a lot to do with Robert Gates wanting to axe a lot of projects that are simply unrealistic and too expensive.
Either way they sent the message all wrong.

Agreed. I heard something about a mobile system but haven't heard any details. As Putin has been getting cozy with Iran and Chavez as of late I would hope that there was a sort of give and take and this isn't being done to appease Russia or because it was a plan implemented by the last administration.

Apparently, the S-400 "Triumf" [NATO Designation: SA-21 Growler] can shoot down missiles. So do you mean something like that?

All I heard was a blurb on the radio about the administration considering replacing it with a mobile system. So who knows.

Russia doesn't worry about the US going nuts. Putin just wants the eastern european nations as lightly defended as possible......so it will be easier when they "join" the Russian sphere of influence. ..............again.

IF they join. I quote Putin:

"Anybody who does not miss the Soviet Union doesnt have a heart, but anybody who wants it back doesnt have a brain"

I doubt they would just give in to the reds without a hard, stubborn fight.

That depends...
Of course they won't take to any occupation lightly but I think the Russians will be more subtle the second time around.

Back