CanadianCombat

Military Uniform Trivia
Is it the USMC?
February 13th, 2007  
AJChenMPH

Bump! What's the answer, Gator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
As for your question, I'm going to have to say the US Navy and the US Coast Guard?
Upon reflection, I realized that you're also correct with USCG. It turns out that when PHS officers are assigned/detailed to USCG, we wear the USCG uniform (again, with minor changes to buttons, insignia, etc.).
September 9th, 2008  
Guntruck40

Is that how the Surgeon General gets his/her cool Navy Duds?
--
Military Uniform Trivia
September 9th, 2008  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntruck40
Is that how the Surgeon General gets his/her cool Navy Duds?
That's right - it's also why you'll see an "Admiral" walking around sometimes with a full beard and non-military haircut.
September 14th, 2008  
AJChenMPH

LOL, that's actually changed -- we just updated our grooming standards to be in line with the Navy. Hence, no more beards and long hair.
May 29th, 2009  
48th highlanders

Topic: Full dress uniform... Highlanders.

I'm going to try to revive this thread.

In the British and the Canadian military tradition, the Highlanders wear a number of unique bits of kit, that are not seen elsewhere, on their full dress uniforms. The kilt is the most obvious item, but there are a number of others, that may be seen, depending on which Highland unit's uniform you are looking at.

Now the first questions..... What is a Glengarry bonnet ? What is a feather bonnet ?

How much cloth is in a military kilt, in feet ? What is worn under a military kilt ?

Your answers ?

Jim B. Toronto.
May 29th, 2009  
03USMC

Glengarry is a flat cap similar to an overseas cap with a tarten band

Feather is similar to a Bearskin Shako with Feather Pom attached

Guessing 12 to 14 feet

Never looked.....but an old Seaforth told me ......nothing
May 30th, 2009  
A Can of Man

I saw a photo of a dude in kilt and the wind blowing. Wasn't wearing anything underneath and I don't think heat's a problem in Scotland.
May 30th, 2009  
Wallabies

May 31st, 2009  
48th highlanders

03USMC:

You got the Glenngarry and the feather bonnet right.

In 1970 my issue feather bonnet was kind of old, made in 1921....

The photo of the highlanders, with the Queen, shows the Glenngary bonnet.

A military kilt has about 10 feet of material in it, as the sides and back of it are half inch pleats. The bottom hem is woven, not stiched, so the kilt is made to the man's measurements. The hem should be just above the knee cap.

The officer sitting to the left of the Queen hasn't quite mastered the art of sitting down, while wearing one.

A further question about highlanders uniform bits......

What is the " little black knife" called in Gaelic ?

And what does the Regimental Sargeant Major carry on his hip, on ceremonial occasions, that relates to carving a roast of meat ?

Jim B. Toronto.