Military Issue Compasses - Page 2

--

November 1st, 2011  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I'd suppose long range snipers need more accuracy
A gun that is 1 MIL(S) off firing at a target 20km away will miss the target by about 20 meters, and 1 MIL(S) isn't very much (A full circle = 6400 MILS)...

And that formula is also quite handy for fire direction, spotting targets etc. manually for forward observer teams..
1 MIL at 1000 meters = 1 meter.... Just need a couple of known points in the terrain and you can direct fire manually using only a pair of binoculars with a MILS scale printed on the lense...
November 2nd, 2011  
Spartan613

All ADF land navigation is done using Mils. Air Force and Navy use degrees. Except where an Air Force Combat Controller is calling artillery, when he uses Mils. Confused?
November 2nd, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
A gun that is 1 MIL(S) off firing at a target 20km away will miss the target by about 20 meters, and 1 MIL(S) isn't very much (A full circle = 6400 MILS)...
Good lor, I did remember rightly 6400 mils = a full circle

Quote:
And that formula is also quite handy for fire direction, spotting targets etc. manually for forward observer teams..
1 MIL at 1000 meters = 1 meter.... Just need a couple of known points in the terrain and you can direct fire manually using only a pair of binoculars with a MILS scale printed on the lense...
The only time I got close to guns bigger then 7.62, was delivering 105's or 155's rounds to RA Batteries on exercises.
--
November 7th, 2011  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan613
All ADF land navigation is done using Mils. Air Force and Navy use degrees. Except where an Air Force Combat Controller is calling artillery, when he uses Mils. Confused?
Arty and Mortar FDC's are set up to run on Mil's so that's not surprising. Calling NGFS you can use Mil's or degrees magnetic or true, because the FSCC is set up to use any of them.
November 8th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

We had a saying to help remind recruits how to work out the magnetic variation between true (grid) north and magnetic north and vice versa.

They were told to look at the date of printing at the top of the map, its magnetic variation at the time of printing and the annual variation, then calculate the amount of magnetic variation. They were told:-
To covert “Mag to grid, get rid (of the variation)” and “Grid to mag, add (the variation)”
November 8th, 2011  
03USMC

We declination diagrams on our map sheets that gives the declination for that particular map / area and we adjust the compass.

November 8th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

If I remember correctly (bearing in mind this was over 30 years ago and memory fades) on our maps, grid north was true north while yours show Grid, True and Magnetic. But I could be wrong
November 10th, 2011  
Redleg

Quote:
If I remember correctly (bearing in mind this was over 30 years ago and memory fades) on our maps, grid north was true north while yours show Grid, True and Magnetic. But I could be wrong
Grid north can be the same as true north, but it depends on where you are in the world (where the map is).
November 10th, 2011  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Grid north can be the same as true north, but it depends on where you are in the world (where the map is).
This was UK
November 10th, 2011  
Redleg

Quote:
This was UK
In most of the UK grid north is almost identical to true north
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Meridian