"metal storm" - Page 2

--

May 1st, 2005  
thegrinch073

Salvo Guns were used to a really small effect during the American Civil War. Line of barrels beside each other and just when off all at once. Quite a piece.

The Metal Storm looks frightening but the pictures I've seen, it would look like it would have a slow reload time.
May 1st, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

It'd make a good CIWS for ships against missiles and a good point defense system on tanks.
July 1st, 2005  
zardoz

Topic: On comparing a Metal Storm to a Salvo Gun

Comparing a Metal Storm to a Salvo Gun is like comparing a flint lock to an M134 Minigun. Reload is fast, as you replace the spent barrel to reload.
--
July 1st, 2005  
bulldogg

So can you buy one for private use? I mean those pesky door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses might actually let you eat in peace if you had a "Protected by MetalStorm" sign in your front yard.

AussieNick, what's their listing?
July 1st, 2005  
behemoth79

Metal Storm is an awesome idea come at a horrible time. IM not sure about other militaries, but America's is losing money fast. there just isnt enough money to fund for testing training and incorporation of it.

And Bulldogg, amen to that.

My new warning sign will read....
"Forget the dog, beware of Metal Storm"
July 3rd, 2005  
FO Seaman

I remember reading a Canadian Army arcticle on this, I find only one problem. Why have a box that fires 300 rounds from 300 seperate containers when we have thing like Bee-Hive and Canister rounds? I do find the application for firefighting a superb idea and the herbicide application also. This may not have a great use in the military but it could have great usage in the civilian market.
December 4th, 2005  
zardoz

Not 300 rounds fron 300 barrels - 300 rounds from 20 barrels ( or less if longer barrel) also mis-fire is not a problem as the following round will clear it .
In one video they show (the demonstration firings at Blossom Point range near Washington DC in July 2000) a six barrel unit firing a 90 rounds burst at 120,000 rpm
December 4th, 2005  
AussieNick

�����http://www.metalstorm.com/

(ASX trading code: MST and NASDAQ Small Cap ticker symbol MTSX)

An example of the Metalstorm Area Denial Weapon System (ADWS) designed to reduce the use of land mines, but achieve the same effect with far greater control.

Quote:
Metal Storm technology is an electronically initiated, stacked projectile system that removes the mechanisms required to fire a conventional weapon. Effectively, the only parts that move in Metal Storm’s technology are the projectiles contained within the barrels. Multiple projectiles are stacked in a barrel. The technology allows each projectile to be fired sequentially from the barrel.

Metal Storm’s fully loaded barrel tubes are essentially serviceable weapons, without the traditional ammunition feed or ejection system, breech opening or any other moving parts. Metal Storm barrels can be effectively grouped in multiple configurations to meet a diversity of applications.

Metal Storm technology is ideally suited to the new generation of ‘network centric’ weapons that are designed to connect with today’s battlefield. Importantly, Metal Storm enabled systems are capable of local or remote operation through a computerized fire control system.

Our technology achieves its performance through the concept of numerous projectiles stacked in a barrel, in which each projectile has its own propellant load, such that the leading propellant can be reliably ignited to fire the projectile, without the resulting high pressure and temperature causing unplanned blow-by ignition of the following propellant load, and without collapse of the projectile column in the barrel.

Our technology has the following features and benefits:

electronically programmable rates of fire from single shots to ultra-rapid rates;

no moving parts, resulting in increased reliability and availability because there is less maintenance required and decreased possibility of malfunction;

increased firepower to weight ratio resulting in a lighter weapon with greater firepower compared to conventional weapons;

modular pods that could operate as a complete weapon system in one container;

100% electronic operation;

the potential of grouping of multiple calibers and multiple lethalities in one gun allowing the user to vary the use to a specific situation;

numerous hybrid configurations and Special Forces applications that could result in enhanced capabilities for use behind enemy lines; and

fast second round strike capability before recoil effect.
Taken from http://www.metalstorm.com/index.php?...3e95b4e948a11d
December 4th, 2005  
bulldogg

Cheers bruv I have a friend who was a copper in Oz who has done some of the testing for Metal Storm weaponry. I will be buying stock soon as an inheritance for my unborn son.
December 4th, 2005  
AussieNick

Quote:
Cheers bruv I have a friend who was a copper in Oz who has done some of the testing for Metal Storm weaponry. I will be buying stock soon as an inheritance for my unborn so
No worries mate. Good move with the stock. A potential gold mine if the idea takes off. The contract with the Australian government would be worth billions by itself.