Merkava Mk 4 -VS- Leopard 2A6 - Page 4




 
--
 
December 9th, 2008  
LeMask
 
Rorke, do you think that canon's velocity is a key issue in an area like Afghanistan?

Because they wont have to face many armored vehicules over there. I think that reloading time or the size of explosive carried by the round is more interesting in such battlefields...

Or gun elevation... Etc...
December 9th, 2008  
Rorke
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMask
Rorke, do you think that canon's velocity is a key issue in an area like Afghanistan?

Because they wont have to face many armored vehicules over there. I think that reloading time or the size of explosive carried by the round is more interesting in such battlefields...

Or gun elevation... Etc...
No i'm mentioning canon velocity specifically for a tank vs tank scenario, Merkava has an inferior gun and inferior armor, it still doesnt matter that much since the gap in effectivness between all modern tanks is minimal and luck/positioning/locating the enemy first plays a far more important role but as far as tank combat Leo2A6 is superior.
December 9th, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
with all due respect rorke no one here knows what type and how much armor is on a merkava MK4.

as for the gun the israeli 120mm is a copy of the german 120mm L44 which is infrior to the L55. however wikipedia says the gun on the Mk4 is improved copared with the L44. i dont know if thats true.
--
December 9th, 2008  
Pale Rider
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorke
First of all Canadians did lease 2A4s, second of all Merkava uses a mix of indigenous composgites and Chobham also they store their diesel in a manner that protects agnainst HEAT.

Leo2A6 has an advanced composite armor, advancedi laminate armor on the turret ancd frontal hull which at current time provides estimated that cumulation rounds have to penetrate 1730-1960mm on the turret.

We can also expand on the upgraded MK III canon vs the new L-55 canon which at current time provides greatest velocity among 'all' tank canons worldwide.

Before you issue b******t statements about hardware because you like some piecne of it do some research.
What is Canada currently using, they do not look like A4 models to me. As far as armor protection goes in regards to both vehicles you do not have a clue on what type of protection either vehicle brings to the table because that is classified information, your numbers are a bit amusing though.
December 9th, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
i do agree that 1900mm seems a bit off to me. the best atgms n the world now penetrate 1200 mm RHS at perfect angles. the SABOTs as far as i know are not better, usually worse. i seriously dout that any tank is at nearly 2000mm.
December 9th, 2008  
Pale Rider
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorke
No i'm mentioning canon velocity specifically for a tank vs tank scenario, Merkava has an inferior gun and inferior armor, it still doesnt matter that much since the gap in effectivness between all modern tanks is minimal and luck/positioning/locating the enemy first plays a far more important role but as far as tank combat Leo2A6 is superior.

At the current time L55 muzzle velocity doesn`t matter a hill of beans for the Americans or Israelis, both have capable ammunition that will perform just as good as DM 63 if not better, now why did the Germans go to a longer tube. You are making statements on subjects that you do not have a clue about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
Quote:
with all due respect rorke no one here knows what type and how much armor is on a merkava MK4.

as for the gun the israeli 120mm is a copy of the german 120mm L44 which is infrior to the L55. however wikipedia says the gun on the Mk4 is improved copared with the L44. i dont know if thats true.


I do not use Wiki as a resource tool but you are correct, it does have better chrome properties and thickness, meaning that it will last a little longer when firing combat loads.
December 9th, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
i was under the impression the germans use israeli sabots
December 9th, 2008  
Pale Rider
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
i was under the impression the germans use israeli sabots
No, Germany designs its own Tungsten projectiles, but there are Leo2 series countries that use Israeli KE projectiles.
December 9th, 2008  
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
No, Germany designs its own Tungsten projectiles, but there are Leo2 series countries that use Israeli KE projectiles.
are there any sources on KE penetration that are avilable to th public. im preetey sure the israeli specs are classified but maybe the american?
December 9th, 2008  
Lunatik
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider
No, Germany designs its own Tungsten projectiles, but there are Leo2 series countries that use Israeli KE projectiles.
I'm curious. Do you know if Turkey (Leo2A4) is one of them?

And what's the difference between a KE projectile and a Tungsten one, other than the fact that KE probably stands for Kinetic Energy and Tungsten is the name of an element?
 


Similar Topics
Split from German Tanks: Merkava
World Tank Ranking
Leopard 2 vs. Abrams
Apple Unleashes Leopard Operating System
China's "Snow Leopard Commando" to drill with Russian commandoes