a medical question

paulsuh85

i have a hernia..it doesnt hurt at all..i also read that it isnt necessary for surgery..so anyone know my chances are if i wanna join the army? also i had a hernia before .. ive had for like over a year and it never hurt..

according to about.com, there is nothing about a hernia stopping you from joining the military. The only thing I saw on it might stopping you is if you had surgery and/or you were suffering from severe symptoms.

Since I am no recruitor or doctor, the best person to tell you if you qualify is a recruitor. The link for medical conditions and joining the military are below

Doody

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blintmedstandar.htm

All you have to do is pass the physical, and you should be good. I don't see it as an obstacle. Go see a recruiter.

Army Regulation 40-150 states:

2-3
h.
Abdominal wall.
(1) Hernia, including inguinal (550), and other abdominal (553), except for small, asymptomatic umbilical or asymptomatic hiatal.

What I have taken from reading the Reg is that anyone with a hernia is disqualified for service. It doesn't state anything about repaired hernias, but I know of several guys that have came in on both the Army and AF sides of the house after succesfful operations.

Doody and Team's advice is best, go see a recruiter. He can answer your question more definitavely. Those guys can always find a loophole.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

By the time you finished doubling around the square with a pack on your back you could find your self in trouble. There is no point in try to hide the problem, as if it gives you problems in the forces and they check back on your medical records then you will be trouble for not disclosing it.

LeEnfield is right. Better to disclose it and not try to hide it. If it bulges out (like mine did) then it is obviosuly noticeable and will be seen by the docs at MEPS. It may not bother you now, but if the military will be a more physically active lifestyle than you are used to, then you may have problems.

I don't think he wants to hide it, at least I didn't get that impression from his post. Seems like he was just wondering what the regs were.

Back