McGrady sidelined with back problems

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Rockets star Tracy McGrady is out indefinitely with back spasms and was scratched from Tuesday night's game against the Los Angeles Lakers.
The 6-foot-8 forward missed 35 games last season with back problems, and coach Jeff Van Gundy said Tuesday he did not know how long McGrady will be sidelined this time.
Luther Head will make his first start of the season in McGrady's place, Van Gundy said. Head is averaging 9.8 points and is Houston's most accurate 3-point shooter (50.5 percent).
McGrady, a six-time All-Star, hurt his back midway through the fourth quarter of Saturday's game against Washington. He scored 28 points before leaving the court and limping to the locker room.
Van Gundy said Bonzi Wells might play Tuesday night after sitting out the last month. Wells signed a two-year, $5 million contract, but Van Gundy acknowledged Monday the two have "struggled to find common ground" since Wells arrived at training camp.
Van Gundy said Wells would play against the Lakers "if I think it's in the best interest of the team."
"I'm not going to focus a lot of my attention on his situation," Van Gundy said. "If it works, it works, it's going to be great. If it doesn't, it doesn't."

Back