The Maus...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
I was under the impression that this tank never made it into service and yet I found this picture while touring the net which gives me the impression that at least one rolled out of the factory...

dmaus.jpg

Then again maybe it isn't a Maus at all as there is something odd about the turret (namely the lack of hatches).

Dont take this as gospel but seem to remember something about one making it out of the factory gates then breaking down.

In October 3, 1944, the completely equipped `Maus` with serial number 205/1 was tested in Kummersdorf polygon.

During 1944, two more vehicles were produced. In the spring of 1945, all vehicles still were in Kummersdorf polygon, in vicinity of which destroyed `Maus` with serial number 205/2 was captured by Soviet Army in April 21, 1945. Whatever tank was destroyed deliberately by Germans, or hit by Soviet artillery barrage before attack, remains unknown. Remains of 205/1 was captured, too.

Soviet engineers constructed a complete tank from remains of both 205/1 and 205/2 (hull of 205/1 and turret from 205/2) and moved it Soviet tank polygon and museum in Kubinka, near Moscow.
http://www.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/Mouse/

My Russian reading is not perfect, but it seems the site you mention has two different types, the "Maus" and the "E-100" (super heavy tank on Tiger II Porsche chassis with Maus turret):

800px-E100_Model_1.72_scale_.JPG

Just FYI

Rattler

My Russian reading is not perfect, but it seems the site you mention has two different types, the "Maus" and the "E-100" (super heavy tank on Tiger II Porsche chassis with Maus turret):

Just FYI

Rattler
As I understood, there are pictures and table of characteristics of both models, while textual article are mainly on `Maus`.

Thats a tank all by its self, probably a bit over the top but possibly not that far it does look seriosly heavy.
For comparison - 56 tons is weight of entire Tiger I (Pz-VIH) tank... Full weight of `Maus` was 180 tons.

Only one Maus was completed. A second hull had a test weight instead of a turret. The photo shows the one complete Maus after it was blown up.
The hull was completely shattered so the turret was placed on the other chassis to make one complete vehicle for Kubinka.
The project was cancelled very early in 1944 and thus there was never any possibility of series production. It was never the case that the war finished before it could get into service because it was cancelled. A devastating bombing raid set it back 6 months at least so they gave up on it.

Back