Marines from 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit motivate students at Richmond schools

istealfreefood

The 22nd MEU came by my school (FUMA) last week to show off some choppers and then on Friday staged a practice raid on the middle school gym. it was alot of fun. here is the article on them from www.usmc.mil

FORT PICKETT, Va. (April 24, 2007) -- A small detachment of Marines aboard four Medium Marine Helicopter Squadron 261 aircraft departed Fort Pickett, Va., and landed at two Virginia high schools for demonstrations April 24, 2007.

Ten infantrymen from Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; two Explosive Ordnance Disposal technicians from Combat Logistics Battalion 22, and the helicopters’ pilots and crewmembers came together and spoke with students at Richmond’s Hermitage High School and Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union.

"Since our arrival at Fort Pickett, we have been welcomed and supported superbly by the patriotic and generous Americans of the area," said Col. Douglas Stilwell, commanding officer for the 22nd MEU. "By opening up their neighborhoods, the residents of this region have offered our Marines and Sailors an extraordinary training opportunity -- training that could one day save lives. These school visits were our way of saying thanks to the local communities for their contributions to our deployment readiness."

One popular exhibit was a robot operated by the EOD technicians. In the din of a teenage crowd, they showed students how they investigate Improvised Explosive Devices on the streets of foreign locales.

“We had a really great time today,” said a Marine EOD Technician with the 22nd MEU. “I was actually surprised at how interested the kids were. When we broke out the robot, a crowd came and never left. It was definitely a good time.”

Masses of teachers, parents and students moved through the CH-46E Sea Knight, CH-53E Super Stallion, UH-1N Huey and AH-1W Super Cobra helicopters, marveling at the war machines of the elite fighting unit. Pilots and crew explained the aircraft’s operational quirks, and Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets kept the crowds in line.

“I think it’s great that the Marines are doing this out here,” said Nathan Landry, a freshman at Hermitage High School. “It’s a great thing for the school, because it allows the ROTC people to talk to them and actually see what they do.”

Landry said he joined the school’s ROTC program to build discipline and gain respect, and he looks forward to the day he can join the Marines.

“I don’t know what I want to do in the Marine Corps, I just know that I want to be a Marine,” said Landry, a Richmond native.

Following the visit to Hermitage High School, the Super Cobra and Huey helicopters paid a visit to the men of Fork Union Military Academy. The young men filled the stadium seating and watched the aircrafts bank left and land in tandem.

Following a short introductory speech, the herd of students clothed in uniforms or matching physical training attire flooded onto the football field and surrounded the two aircraft and their crews.

“It was really awesome how they came in, and I learned a lot from the pilots,” said Robbie Aboulhosn, a junior at the academy. “The pilots were nice and very cool. One of them came up to us and started talking to us before we even had a chance to approach him.”

Aboulhosn said he was impressed with the professionalism and conduct of the Marines and they definitely left a favorable impression on him.

“I have always had a great outlook on the Marines because of their discipline,” said Aboulhosn, “that’s one thing that has always made me want to join.”

Aboulhosn, 16, is the company commander of the school’s Alpha Company and looks forward to an upcoming promotion board where he will compete in military fashion for the rank of cadet lieutenant colonel, he said.

“I plan on going to ROTC, but even if I don’t, no matter what degree I get or what job I’m offered, I plan on going into the Marines after college,” said Aboulhosn. “Especially after what has happened to this country, we need more good men with courage and discipline.”

The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit consists of its Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; Aviation Combat Element, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced); Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion 22; and its Command Element.

To stay informed on the MEU’s upcoming deployment, visit the unit’s website at www.22meu.usmc.mil.
-30-​
A student of Fork Union Military Academy observes an AH-1W Super Cobra and a UH-1N Huey helicopter lift-off in tandem after a demonstration aboard his school in Fork Union, Va., April 24, 2007. The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit consists of its Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; Aviation Combat Element, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced); Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion 22; and Command Element. The 22nd MEU is scheduled to deploy later this year. Photo by: Cpl. Peter R. Miller
Students and staff from Hermitage High School were treated to the rare sight of a CH-53E Super Stallion transport helicopter from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced) touching down on the school’s football field April 24, 2007. The helicopter was part of the displays the Marines with 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit set up for the public at the school. Photo by: Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe
A Marine with Combat logistics Battalion 22, shows off a PackBot robot to a group of excited students during a visit at Hermitage High School in Richmond, Va., April 24, 2007. The exhibition was a way of showing appreciation to people in the Richmond Va., area for allowing the Marines of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit to train in their neighborhoods. Photo by: Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe
Staff and students from Hermitage High School came out in droves to catch an otherwise rare sight of a CH-53E Super Stallion transport helicopter from Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced) up close and personal during a visit at the school in Richmond, Va., April 24, 2007. The CH-53E was one of four helicopters displayed by the Marines from 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit. Photo by: Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe
Children raise patriotic signs aboard Fork Union Military Academy during a visit from Marines of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit in Fork Union, Va., April 24, 2007. The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit consists of its Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; Aviation Combat Element, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced); Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion 22; and Command Element. The 22nd MEU is scheduled to deploy later this year. Photo by: Cpl. Peter R. Miller
A Marine helicopter pilot from the 22nd Marine Expeditonary Unit demonstrates the use of his aircraft’s weapons system during a demonstration aboard Fork Union Military Academy, Fork Union, Va., April 24, 2007. The 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit consists of its Ground Combat Element, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; Aviation Combat Element, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 261 (Reinforced); Logistics Combat Element, Combat Logistics Battalion 22; and Command Element. The 22nd MEU is scheduled to deploy later this year. Photo by: Cpl. Peter R. Miller
Lance Cpl. Carton Markwood, designated marksman for 2nd Platoon, Company I, Battalion Landing Team, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment shows Charles Charest, a Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps cadet, the right way to shoot during a visit by Marines from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit at the Hermitage High School football field in Richmond, Va., April 24, 2007. The JROTC cadets were given a glimpse of what the future might hold if they choose to join the armed forces. Photo by: Sgt. Ezekiel R. Kitandwe

Back