Magnitude 8.2 Quake Off Sumatra Coast (Reuters)

--
Boots

March 28th, 2005  
News Manager

Topic: Magnitude 8.2 Quake Off Sumatra Coast (Reuters)

Reuters - An 8.2 magnitude earthquake struck off
the coast of Sumatra Monday close to where a similar quake
triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or
missing, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050328/wl_nm/quake_asia_dc]Read more...[/url]
March 28th, 2005  
Redleg

Just saw this on the news..
I hope there's no new tsunamis on their way now..
March 28th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

i second that motion

I hope all is well
--
Boots
March 28th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

ummmmm I don't see anything as yet .........

But It's too early to say i Guess .......... They say it takes around half an hour to three Hours for Tsunamis to develop .....

Peace
-=SF_13=-
March 28th, 2005  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordFish_13
ummmmm I don't see anything as yet .........
And I hope it stays that way as well!!
March 28th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Reports of Around 12-20 people being dead in Indonesian island of Nias ................ But the Good News is i Just watched some Indian meteorological Department Spokeseman saying on TV that There are no Signs of Tsunamis Developing and the danger period has passed.

Lets hope the casuality of the EarthQuake Itself reamins Low ........... beacuse there are reports of Hundered of Bulidings being Destroyed in Indonesia

Peace
-=SF_13=-
March 29th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

More that 2,000 Dead on the island of Nias which is close to the Epicenter

Peace
-=SF_13=-
March 29th, 2005  
Redleg

Looks like the earthquake was a bit more powerfull than first reported, around 8,7..

A small tsunami/large wave (3 meters) was reported to have hit the small Indonesian Island Simeulue, and caused great destruction there.

Around 1000 people are confirmed killed so far, according to Norwegian news..
March 29th, 2005  
Redneck

I don't know anything about plate techtonics or geology, but could this be any sort of a delayed aftershock or part of a continuing series of quakes? Hopefully some measures have already been taken following the first one that will have some effect here.
March 29th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Quote:
I don't know anything about plate techtonics or geology, but could this be any sort of a delayed aftershock or part of a continuing series of quakes? Hopefully some measures have already been taken following the first one that will have some effect here.

Redneck that reagion is Quite Volatile as 4 Different Plates meet there .......... the Previous earthquake was due to the Indian Plate Sliding Under the Burma Plate ................ and the current One Occured Due to the Indian and Australian plates coliding ........ so it might be said that these were two different Ones........... but Yes the previous one was 9.1 and tha's huge so it might have triggred more distrubences that's why this one happned ...

This one wasen't small either .......... it's also one of the world's largest recorded in past 50 years

Peace
-=SF_13=-