The M1 (The Tank) - Page 2

--

June 25th, 2006  
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
Thank God for teen-aged tank experts!
I am veteran with 23 years experience and I wouldn't make comments on the M-1 because of my not being familiar with Armor, being a Corps of Engineers officer who went to Advanced Course, Command & General Staff College and various other courses. But like I said here we have teen-aged tank experts!
So, because we have no experience, you expect us not to discuss it? So I guess we can't discuss politics, we've never been politicians, we can't discuss all guns, we've never shot every single one of them, and we can't discuss life in general, because we haven't lived through all of it yet.

I am not saying my word is final, nor that it should be taken as official, but I damn well have the right to express it.

Thank you for your years of service, (I am currently a candidate for the Naval Academy, hopefully I can follow in your footsteps and become an officer) but buddy its comments like that that get me pissed.
June 25th, 2006  
tomtom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
So, because we have no experience, you expect us not to discuss it? So I guess we can't discuss politics, we've never been politicians, we can't discuss all guns, we've never shot every single one of them, and we can't discuss life in general, because we haven't lived through all of it yet.

I am not saying my word is final, nor that it should be taken as official, but I damn well have the right to express it.

Thank you for your years of service, (I am currently a candidate for the Naval Academy, hopefully I can follow in your footsteps and become an officer) but buddy its comments like that that get me pissed.
This is the topic of this thread:
Quote:
Quote:
How much longer do you guys think that the M1A2 will be in service? Also I would like to know if there are any current projects going on to replace the Abrams. Thats all, thanks.
I do not disagree with your right to comment, but in accordance with the rules of this forum, you must post the source of your information, which you did not do. Anyone would therefore assume that you have first hand knowledge of the subject, which as we both know is not the case. That is why I commented as I did. Follow the rules.

P.S. Good Luck with your quest for the Naval Academy.
June 25th, 2006  
bulldogg

Timely and pertinent advice Tom.
--
June 25th, 2006  
RnderSafe

I better start seeing some links in some of your posts. Do not copy and paste articles from websites without providing the link.
June 25th, 2006  
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
This is the topic of this thread:
Quote:
I do not disagree with your right to comment, but in accordance with the rules of this forum, you must post the source of your information, which you did not do. Anyone would therefore assume that you have first hand knowledge of the subject, which as we both know is not the case. That is why I commented as I did. Follow the rules.

P.S. Good Luck with your quest for the Naval Academy.
Well, in that case, fully agreed. I confess, I didn't actually take the time out to read the rules fully.

Misunderstanding on my part. You listing your credentials mislead me.
July 4th, 2006  
LeEnfield

I was reading one of those odd books on the military the other day, and it was saying that the longest ever tank to tank shot with a knock out blow was from a Challenger 1 which knocked out a Iraq tank at the rane of 2 & half miles with a single shot. This was during the first Gulf War
July 5th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Looks are not everything. It is part of the endless web of MBTs in which the T-72 is the core. The turret looks kinda like that on the Merkava. I don't know how good the optics and computer systems are but I highly doubt that they are as good as what we have.
Never underestimate the enemy.
How many times has that been proved throughout history. Just because you think they are inferior... doesn't mean they are.
July 5th, 2006  
Missileer

I think the M1A2 will be around another ten years at least. The reason I think so is I'm still repairing the first generation CITV for GDLS (General Dynamics Land Systems) and TACOM. We have both the 1st and 2nd generations in the field with a new multiyear contract for repair of 1st gen and production and repair of 2nd gen. We're also testing 3rd gen systems now.
July 7th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JOEJK
I remember reading about and seeing pictures of the NextGen tanks back in 1986. They were suppose to have kinetic energy guns
You mean a gun that fires a bullet that doesn't contain explosives (like a handgun, which is a kinetic energy weapon)?
July 10th, 2006  
FO Seaman

To answer some questions:

1.) The M1 Abrams will remain in Army and Marine Corps inventory until 2036. Source: U.S. Army Future Combat Systems Represenative, and my Father who I will not name, he is an NCO working with the Chief of Armor Office.

2.) TUSK is not a variation of the Abrams: TUSK is a kit that can be afixed to any Abrams from the XMI to the M1A2 SEP, hence the name Tank Unrban Survival Kit. Source: United States Army, Globalsecuirty.org, Team Soldier

3.) The Mobile Gun System (which has not been feilded yet) is not a replacement nor equal to an MBT, the MGS is for light armor support of infantry where the M1 can not easily go. Source: Future Combat Systems Represenative, My Father, globalsecurity.org and Team Soldier

5.) Kenetic Energy is was it is Kenetic Energy. Weather the round have a Depleted Uranium or Tungsten Penetrator. Bullet's and KE rounds act very similiar, but are different. KE was made in the mind set as strictly and AP asset. Source: This is my first hand exprince from time at the Table 8 Gunnery Range and at the Rifle Range, and a little study time.

6.) The replace is kind alike a Light Tank with MAC gun (Magnetic Acceration Coil). I can't remember it's offical designation, but I did see an COAO/Team Soldier report on it.