Luftwaffe Ground forces

Cdt Matteo

I've been researching about Luftwaffe ground infantry and came up with little info, any good links/knowledge you'd like to share?

I've been researching about Luftwaffe ground infantry and came up with little info, any good links/knowledge you'd like to share?

Are you referring to the Fallschirjager, the first German paratroops. They were used in gliders in Belgium and Holland. Their one and only drop took place in Crete. The Fallschirjager lost so many paratroops, Hitler forbade their use in this manner any longer. This left the Brandenburgers, an elite unit used by the German secret service, the only unit to still use parachutes. I believe Hitler was so put off with the use of parachutes he even stopped their use by the Brandenburgers.

Possibly you are referring to different units. But after Crete the Fallschirmjager were used as an elite infantry unit, usually mechanized with an amount of armour.

Last edited:
We have a guy serving in such an outfit.
He might be able to help.
I think that's me :)
I couldn't find any info in english. (german link= luftwaffe.de --> TEam Luftwaffe --> Objektschutzregiment), I know there's a similar Regiment in England- we have some contact with it, but I don't know if they have online info.

The fact that you couldn't find any information isn't that surprising because the German Air Force Ground Combat Supporting Regiment was formed in 2006 and consists about only 2000 soldiers (with reserve). The Regiment has different parts: Combat (real infantry and focus, including (to my mind) the best sharp shooters in the forces), Anti Air, pioneer, mil. intelligence, ABC-protection and fire control forces.
Before the Regiment was "re-opened" there were only about 12 platoons attached to the german military air bases. Their mission was to protect high valuable objectives of the air force (air planes, patriot, air fields, a-weapons (US)...). Today the regiment has its own staff and organization. Compared to infantry units of the german army it is specialized on military objects and its security that includes protecting a safety area and aggressive action against potential threats-including urban combat and much more... (attacking is in some cases the best defense) The Combat Supporting Regiment is equipped with the best stuff you can get in the german forces (infantrymen of the future, latest weapon systems and mil. vehicles [Dingo, new Wolf...]). The different elements of the Regiment--from intelligence to anti air--provide a high quality and efficiency. The backbone of the Regiment is the infantry and the training of it. Before one Air force private can enter the Regiment he must pass the basic training in the air force training regiments.
Because of the good results in missions abroad the General Chief of the Air Force considers his Ground Combat Regiment as the Jewel of the Air Force (he actually said that :) )
Low in numbers- highly trained- well equipped- Air Force Infantry
SEMPER COMMUNIS

--> Air Force Infantry didn't exist before the formation of the Bundeswehr. The Luftwaffe in WW2 had Paratroopers under its command (Fallschirmjäger). Now the Fallschirmjäger are under the command of the German Army.

Last edited:
I think that's me :)
I couldn't find any info in english. (german link= luftwaffe.de --> TEam Luftwaffe --> Objektschutzregiment), I know there's a similar Regiment in England- we have some contact with it, but I don't know if they have online info.

I take it that you mean the Royal Air Force Regiment?

During my time in the RAF, the RAF Regiment were also the fire crews on operational stations. I don't know if its still the same today.

The RAF Regiment is a combat force and still plays an active role even today. Much of there work is in airfield defence and they patrol around an airfield in a radius of about 30 miles to stop rocket and mortar attacks. They are active in Iraq and Afghanistan

The RAF Regiment is a combat force and still plays an active role even today. Much of there work is in airfield defence and they patrol around an airfield in a radius of about 30 miles to stop rocket and mortar attacks. They are active in Iraq and Afghanistan
Yeah that's what I meant, we had close contact with the RAF when we re-built our own Regiment...

LUFTWAFFE GROUND FORCES

I am ex RAF Police and have a great interest in WW2 and Germany at the rise of Hitler and his downfall. I served at RAF Wildenrath from 1962-5 and tried to find out as much as I could about the Luftwaffe, I seem to recall that the uniform was on the lines of the RAF and that air crew wore yellow flashes on their lapels whilst ground forces wore red. Was there a seperate Luftwaffe Polizei?
I served several times with the RAF Regiment and we knew them as 'Rock apes'

The Luftwaffe always had 'security Forces', responsible for airfield and plane security with several police-like assigns. But not as much power as RAF police i guess...

Back