Looking for a World War II book

--

September 1st, 2004  
Arctic Jack

Topic: Looking for a World War II book

Hey, Iím looking to buy a book so I can learn about the whole of World War II. Most of the books Iíve seen just cover specific events like D-Day or the Pacific. Iíd like a book that covers the whole war. Could someone recommend me one? I donít want one thatís been written or influenced by a Goldberg or the far left either. They like to distort the truth and all you end up reading is what they want you to read.

Cheers.
September 1st, 2004  
GuyontheRight

If you want to read a big picture of the eastern front may I suggest Barbarossa: By Alan Clark. Although It was written In 1965 and is lacking info on Soviet casulties and operations (Particularly Mars), It does not have any of the bias you mentioned.

You may also want to try The Second World War by John Keegan
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
September 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Looks like your topic was moved to this section. This section has lots of info on WW2 and lots of links in the topics related to it.

This topic has some leads on more reliable info for the Eastern Front:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=3582
--
September 2nd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

The Second World War by John Keegan is pretty good, though he does run out of steam in certain areas. But still a nice overrall book!
September 2nd, 2004  
Claymore

I recently finished Winston Churchill's 6 volume set of The Second World War. Obviously it is from a political and very British perspective, but the man was an excellent writer, with a incredible knack for turning a phrase.
The only downfall I saw in the series is that I found myself using the British spelling for words (organise instead of organize etc.)!
Excellent series.
September 2nd, 2004  
Acerbus

Delivered From Evil by Robert Leckie, it's a one-volume overall comprehensive work on the War. It's great stuff.
September 3rd, 2004  
gladius

I had this great book once when I was a kid, it was called "A Pictorial History of WWII".

The descriptions in it are brief mostly summaries of the major battles. The pictures were great though.
September 3rd, 2004  
yurry

This is the alpha and the omega of world war 2 books 8) 8) 8)

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...426919-6942415

Its in many languages not just German. Try it out!!!
July 29th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

The only book I have on World War 2 is a series comprised of two thick books. It's in hardback and rather square. It's called World War II and Douglas Brinkley is the general editor. It's a New York Times Living History book. The first book is called WWII The Axis Assault. The second is called World War II The Allied Counterattack. It covers both economic, social, military, and individual aspects of World War II. For example, it tells about Roosevelt's failing health, the US rations, the Battle of Midway, and the Detroit Race Riots. The book contains many entries. All entries have a summary, a New York Times article from that period, and an individual document like a diary, poem, speech, etc.... I think it's relatively unbiased. It costed me about 68000 won or 68 dollars. Yet I think it's well spent.
July 29th, 2010  
Korean Seaboy

Also, I would appreciate is someone else will also recommend a good WWI book for me. I know a lot about WWII, but I am clueless in WWI.