Looking for MOS input

Snarvelbug

Hey, you might all remember me from a while ago. My relationship has since ended, and I've been in touch with a USMC recruiter.

It looks like after I get my paperwork all together I'm going to take the ASVAB and then find my way down to MEPS, and I'm psyched, even though it looks like it'll probably be at least getting into spring before I ship for basic.

I know I want to be a Marine, but before too long I understand I'm going to be looking at a (hopefully) long list of MOSes that I can ask for. I know I might not get my pick, but I do get to ask.

I'm most interested in the 03s, and am partly asking for what your perspectives of the different MOSes in the field are, and am partly asking for suggestions of MOSes in other fields that play a similar role. I'm looking to stay far away from a desk. I'm not terribly worried about required ASVAB scores. I do well academically, and I "test well", and if my score isn't high enough, well, I wont put it on my list, though it seems for the most part the types of MOS I'm looking at don't require phenomenal scores.

First: The Marine Corps allows to enlist in an MOS Field. So that means you can enlist for the 03xx field and you will get an MOS inside that field. You can be assigned to any of the 03XX MOS's. Which means that even if you really want to be an 0331 Machine Gunner, the Corps may make you an 0341 Mortar Man, or an 0351 Anti Tank Assault. It will depend on the needs of the Corps at the time.

Other MOS with alot of field time include 08XX Artillery, 18XX Armor/AAV, 13XX Engineer, 23XX Ammuition/Explosive Ordnance disposal. And currently the 58XX Military Police/Corrections, depending on what kind of unit the 06XX can also see alot of field time.

Thank you for the info. That I could only pick a field isn't what the recruiter had said, but what you're saying is much closer to what I expected.

I'd just like to add... just because your mos says you do one thing doesn't mean thats what you'll be doing in your unit. I'm a 3rd echelon radio tech (2846) but I'm in a Spec Op unit. All of the gear in my unit is brand new and under warrently for like another 25 years. I've never fixed any gear, although I did have to fix a microwave once :) Anyways, the first sentance states my point. Try to get into a MOS that you think you'll enjoy first off and secondly think about this. Say you decide to get out of the military at the end of your enlistment, what will you have to show (education-wise) if you are an 03xx? No offense to the grunts, those guys work their asses off in the corps, but I've seen several guys in my unit get out with no education to fall back on.

Food for thought. Semper Fidelis.

From my experience in the aviation field 60,61,62,63, if you really want to do some groundside work it should be on your first enlistment, your body will start to break down as you get older, making those 5 mile hikes a little harder. So if you want to be infantry then do it now, if you are looking for something that will carry over to the private sector when you're finished with one enlistment, I'd look into a more specialized field like aviation, I'm just a mechanic but with the training I've received and the options for military getting out you can walk away after 4-5 years and get a decent paying job. So look at what your short term and long term goals are. I'm working on 7 years in now. But run down the recruiter's list and jot down any/all of the fields that sound interesting to you then do some research, because remember the choice will stay with you for the next 4-5 years. The mos field/specialty that was mentioned is no joke I know people that wanted to be mechanics and ended up as parachute riggers. So look at that also make sure you're willing to go into anything in that field.

If you really want to be an 03. here's what you can expect.

:read:
You wont have a life.

but you will..
Police call until you get Boots.
Stand By, to Stand By.
never sleep past 0530.
never get off work until 1700.
live in the barracks.
PT, PT, PT.
Stand by some more.
carry note taking gear.
Be treated like ____.
Weather conditions won't exist. every days a great day to train.
Not wear warming layers.
Think about jumping off the 3rd deck catwalk.

I could go on for days..

All im saying is, before you jump into a contract, really think about it.. and try to get as much insight on it from people who are there or have been there.

McAlister 0311 (03Janitorial)

p.s. When u get to ITB they'll give you your job.

:horsie:

I remind my daughter that service to our country is just that... no matter what the job or MOS is. Some duties you will enjoy more than others, but they are all honorable.

FMJ just has a case of the PFC 0311 blues. Seriously it gets better. Once you get some time in grade as a Lance and get to know your stuff it smooths out. It's an adjustment period right now.

Yeah I remember when I was a PFC and life was pretty f*cking bad!
Never ask a Private "hey, how are you doing?"
You know they're thinking "BAD! That's how I'm doing!"

It sucks to be a PVT or PFC in a Grunt Unit. Good thing is that as long as you don't step on your schlong theres a time limit on it. Hey FMJ yer already humpin the radio, so somebody has a little trust in you.

I remind my daughter that service to our country is just that... no matter what the job or MOS is. Some duties you will enjoy more than others, but they are all honorable.

Sure was a great honour stirring that diesel and human **** around.

Don't sugar coat it with the honour stuff, it's a dirty hard job where the people who make decisions are on sadistic power trips and are only there because they can't get a job on civi street and they have driven all the decent people out of the service.

Don't sugar coat it with the honour stuff, it's a dirty hard job where the people who make decisions are on sadistic power trips and are only there because they can't get a job on civi street and they have driven all the decent people out of the service.

As far as sugar coating...
You look at it however you want. I KNOW finding something good keeps my attitude good. You obviously had a bad experience. That doesn't change the fact that if you do something with honor then it is honorable.

I love my children, but I can tell you in all honesty, I hated dirty diapers. I still cleaned my children's butts well. (Had I not, it would have hurt them, and the consequences would have made me miserable too.) The point is we have to do stuff we don't like in our lives, sometimes by instruction of people we don't like. So what? Don't whine about it, just do it and forget about it!

as for them not being able to get civilian jobs... You are obviously uneducated or ill-informed if you are refering to the US Armed Forces! I take pride in my job as do most in the military, no matter the lenght of time spent. There are a few of our forum members who are preparing to deploy. It is offensive to me to even think you are describing them!

The point is we have to do stuff we don't like in our lives, sometimes by instruction of people we don't like. So what? Don't whine about it, just do it and forget about it!

Don't whine? Can't take away the soldiers only right.

Maybe in the Australian Army.

Back