Looking at all my military carreer options

Cdt Matteo

Hey everyone, as the title says, I've been looking at all my military career options. Now, I could serve in the Canadian Army (since I live in Canada), but I'm also looking into the US Army or the USMC. I've tried to look around, but since I'm in Canada and not in the US, I can't email the US Army or the USMC (tried). I want to know if you could answer this:

Can I get my US citizenship from serving in the US Army or in the USMC?

Now, I'm looking into the money issue as well. I know that the US Army pays a heck of a lot less than the Canadian, but that's not a huge issue. I've seen the US Army pay tables, but I can't seem to find the USMC pay tables. Could anyone perhaps post up a link to a USMC pay tables? Thanks again

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: I'm off to Italy in a few hours for 10 days so I'll try to go on my brother's laptop to check your answers. :D

Green card at least that is.

Hmmm... pay tables can be misleading. I don't know about USMC, but in South Korea, the RoKMC and RoK Army pay tables look pretty much the same. But the difference is that it takes FOREVER for you to get promoted in RoKMC that essentially you're being paid much less. I guess that's what happens when the force is small and there aren't many slots for promotion, especially for officers.

So be aware that pay tables aren't everything and they can be pretty misleading.

Every pay grade in the US Armed Forces gets paid the same base pay. So an Army Pvt, Marine Pvt are paid at exactly the same base pay E-1.

Pay is identical, but promotions do come a lot faster in the US Army from what my gunny tells me. You'll need, at minimum, a green card to enlist - you might want to start that process now if it's something you're seriously considering.

Pay is identical, but promotions do come a lot faster in the US Army from what my gunny tells me. You'll need, at minimum, a green card to enlist - you might want to start that process now if it's something you're seriously considering.

Right on. Air force and a few other branches offer larger incentives and better BAH and such, but in the long run, the Army promotes faster, thus higher pay grade and more money. 365 points last I looked for 5.

But then again, you can be Sergeant Major of the Universe and make less than Captain of Supplyland.

SMA, MCPON, SMMC, CSMAF all make more than Captains in their respective service, as they should. :drink:

An E-9 with more than 10, but less than 12 years of service makes $4,254.60 whereas an O-3 with more than 4 years and less than 6 makes
$4,545.60. Making O-3 in 4 years: likely. Making E-9 in less than 12: doubtful. The charts dont even place E-9 until 10 years of service, at which point an O-3 with identical time in service would make $5,157.00, roughly $10,800 per annum difference.
:cheers:

Source
http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables/2008MilitaryPayCharts35.pdf

Also, being in Canada and not being able to talk to a recruiter is bull.
Go look on your search engine and look for recruiting stations across the US and give them a call. BE RESOURCEFUL.

An E-9 with more than 10, but less than 12 years of service makes $4,254.60 whereas an O-3 with more than 4 years and less than 6 makes
$4,545.60.

There's fine print - see note #4:

"For the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Chief Master Sergeant of the AF, Sergeant Major of the Army or Marine Corps or Senior Enlisted Advisor of the JCS, basic pay is $6,875."

There's fine print - see note #4:

"For the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Chief Master Sergeant of the AF, Sergeant Major of the Army or Marine Corps or Senior Enlisted Advisor of the JCS, basic pay is $6,875."

At which point I will refer to the fact that I said Sergeant Major of the Universe, not of the Army. SGM, not SMA.

the_13th_redneck said:
When you're in the military, make sure you have some friends in supply. TRUST me, it's worth it.

VERY TRUE!

Back