Light Mortar questions.

NCO-for-life

Ok, as stated in the title i have questions about your countries light mortar systems. Basically with light mortar I mean 81mm mortar. Could be 60mm as well..
In NCO course I was trained as a mortar squad leader for both 120mm and 81mm mortars and as a Level NCO(direct translation from Taso Aliupseeri) as well. With Level NCO I mean the dude who translates target data to firing data. IE. I get reguest from FOs as follows. Tukom 9812 7653 120 30-10 850 is am. I translate it for the mortars say to something like this: 2. 1 24-53 256 is am. I will not explain all the numbers and stuff, just in case, but I hope you know what I'm talking about.

So to the questions:

Number of crew for single mortar?
-We got 6 men, Leader, Aimer, 2nd Aimer, Loader, Charger and Ammo man.

Rate of fire?
-18rds/minute

How they locate them selves?
-We have 50m of steel cable, compass on steroids and a map.

How fast they can get the first granade in the air if arriving to prepared position?
-1 minute

How about unprepared?
-Depanding on soil: 30min - 1h, if we want to be accurate. If in hurry, 1 minute.

Thats it for now, I'll ask more when I figure something else out.

The British Army were issued a 2 inch mortar crewed by one man, possibly two. It could fire if my memory is correct, H.E, smoke and illumination.

I don't know if they are still issued.

Yep, we (US Army) used 60mm, 81mm, and 4.2 inch (107mm) mortars. The job you described is closest to our FDC Chief (Fire Direction Center) who is usually a Staff Sergeant.
Our FDC consisted of several guys called computers (your Level NCO?) who would communicate with the Forward Observers and calculate the range, direction, type of round and charge for a given mission. They would then relay that to the gun crews.
Gun crews varied in numbers. The 4.2" had as many as seven crew members and our 81mm and 60mm usually had four or five (1 squad ldr, 1 gunner, 1 assistant gunner and an ammo bearer).
One minute was our standard for the light mortars and most of my 4 duece (4.2") squads could also do that if properly motivated. A typical mortar platoon consisted of 4 to 5 guns, an FDC Section all of which was lead by a Platoon Sergeant (E7).
Mortars, as you might have guessed was my primary MOS for a long time. I have done all those job although it's been a long time since then.
I hope that helps.

Sorry to say I have no idea. I do know we have 81, 120 mm mortatrs. The ones that belong to armor units are usually 81mm and are carried in M113s. The infantery has 81 and 120 and they cary the first on foot or on the M113 and the latter on the m113(they recently got improved M113s with all sorts of nice add-ons).
We have a 60mm mortar in the tank, which is used for close range indirect fire(one tank shooting 60mm and another spotting)

Back