Let North Caucasus go?

Is a peaceful separation of Northern Caucasian republics from the Russian Federation

• possible but NOT desirable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • desirable but NOT possible at the moment

• NOT desirable and NOT possible

• Total voters

Prapor

According to: http://dniester.ru/content/belkovskii-nuzhen-li-nam-kadyrov-vseya-rusi
60% of Russian citizens want to cut off Chechnya and the rest of Northern Caucasus from the Federation. They support, in general, the nationalists' plan: create a high-security border on the Terek river, maybe build a wall, like Israel, heavily arm Cossack communities there, and have us fight any mountain people that try to cross, like in the old times :) Oh, and almost all people of North Caucasian descent living in other areas of Russia, except those completely absorbed into local culture, are to be deported home. They (nationalists) say Russia has sacrificed already as amny as 30,000 men there, trying to keep order, since the early 90s, and there is no reason to continue this futile task.

Our Cossack leaders support this too. They, on our behalf, have demanded free access to weapons for ALL Cossacks (not just members of governemnt-sanctioned militias) for years. They say, give us free guns, and we are prepared to secure a border zone along Terek.

But, there are many problems I see with this. First, within Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, there are thousands of men who have fought, bravely, for Russia, for their Republics to remain a part of the Federation, risked their lives. Many more have given their lives for this goal. Policemen, troops, Specnaz fighters. And their families. Loyal Russian citizens. If those Republics are seceded from Russia, and, essentially, handed over to the Wakhabits, what will happen to those people? We, as a country, I believe, owe them better.

Than, there is the little matter of Ossetia. Ossetians are Orthodox Christian. Russia, to them, is home. And we, Cossacks, to them (and they to us) are brothers. Among my people, Terek Cossacks, 1 in 3 has Ossetian blood. My paternal grandmother was Ossetian. Ossetia forms a relatively narrow corridor between Muslim Dagestan, Chechnya and Ingushetia on one side and Muslim Kabardino-Balkaria and Karachaevo-Cherkesia on the other. In the 90s, Ossetians and Cossacks fought to the death against Chechens and Ingush over a tiny piece of land called Prigorodny District, today part of Ossetia (yes, we won, by the way :D). If we secede North Caucasus, and the Islamists take power on both sides of Ossetia, they (Islamists) will attack the Ossetians. The Cossacks will be drawn into it: Terek Army, us, will rise immedeately to the Ossetians aid, and Don and Kuban armies would be obliged to, then, fight alongside us as their fellow Cossacks. This would be a ethno-religious war involving several million people, one that will reduce most of that region to ruins. But, no need even for us or Ossetians. In Dagestan, which has both Sunni and Shiite Muslims, with the Sunnis in a narrow majority (around 60%), a Sunni-Shiite conflict is already in the works. Already Shiite leaders are complaining that the (mostly Sunni) spiritual leadership in the republic is preventing their people from entering mosques. There have already been violent clashes in rural areas. If Russian security presense went away, they'd start cutting each other in pieces, possibly with foreign players entering (perhaps Iran and Azerbaijan helping the Shiites, and the Arabs and, maybe, Turks, on the Sunni side).

Howerver it would turn out, without Russian military and security forces there, North Caucasus would quickly turn into another Waziristan, or Somalia, a lawless region, haven to terrorist organizations, criminal networks, etc.

But, what do you guys think? Is a peaceful separation of North Caucasus from Russia possible, desirable, and also, I would ask, how do you think it would affect the West?

Last edited:
I cannot say very much if little about the forecast of the situation you stated.

I am simply not there, and not on the ground seeing it through the eyes of the people who live there.

But I honestly don't know,

Either two things I can "guess" on what would happen.

Russia blows allot more money, and more importantly puts more lives on the line longer in maintaing a heavy security presance there, with little improvement in the situation.

Or they as you stated Mr. Prapor, they pull back, let the region cecede and it spirals into a backwards lawless state haven for international criminals or terrorists organizations.

Ethical and human rights issues would then be very difficult to sort out, if a tinderbox like you described in the region does exsist, then taking the brakes off the situation by removing Russian Forces may just ignite it and essential pour diesel fuel on it.

I honestly don't know,

A good place to look may be what may happen in Afghanistan when the Western Coalition pulls out. If Russia waits a few years they could learn a lot of lessons about the aftermath of a major withdrawl of forces, even if over time in a dangorous region of the world.

I know that Caucasus and Afghanistan are not the same animal, but it is the most recent and best situation I can think of to compare it to what you described here Mr. Prapor.

I honestly don't know,

As for the west.... With America close to defaulting on it's bills, and election times coming up...The most you may here from there is outcries of any human rights violations by armed militias that may follow if Russia Decides to pull out of the area.

Whether or not the west would blame Russia for a day or two I can't say.

IF that happens that way.

Last edited:
I can understand why some in Russia might feel this way, but I think its fraught with dangers. You mentioned the Wall in Israel but thats just it, the wall has done nothing but increase tensions. Sooner or later people in the caucauses will try and move North and when they do and are blocked the reaction will be violent.

Last edited:
I cannot say very much if little about the forecast of the situation you stated.

I am simply not there, and not on the ground seeing it through the eyes of the people who live there.

But I honestly don't know,

Either two things I can "guess" on what would happen.

Russia blows allot more money, and more importantly puts more lives on the line longer in maintaing a heavy security presance there, with little improvement in the situation.

Or they as you stated Mr. Prapor, they pull back, let the region cecede and it spirals into a backwards lawless state haven for international criminals or terrorists organizations.

Ethical and human rights issues would then be very difficult to sort out, if a tinderbox like you described in the region does exsist, then taking the brakes off the situation by removing Russian Forces may just ignite it and essential pour diesel fuel on it.

I honestly don't know,

A good place to look may be what may happen in Afghanistan when the Western Coalition pulls out. If Russia waits a few years they could learn a lot of lessons about the aftermath of a major withdrawl of forces, even if over time in a dangorous region of the world.

I know that Caucasus and Afghanistan are not the same animal, but it is the most recent and best situation I can think of to compare it to what you described here Mr. Prapor.

I honestly don't know,

As for the west.... With America close to defaulting on it's bills, and election times coming up...The most you may here from there is outcries of any human rights violations by armed militias that may follow if Russia Decides to pull out of the area.

Whether or not the west would blame Russia for a day or two I can't say.

IF that happens that way.

I can understand why some in Russia might feel this way, but I think its fraught with dangers. You mentioned the Wall in Israel but thats just it, the wall has done nothing but increase tensions. Sooner or later people in the caucauses will try and move North and when they do and are blocked the reaction will be violent.

Agree with both of you. It may well turn out worse, if we rushed with it...

I just don't know how to further guesstimate the situation.

How do Russians feel mostly on the whole about this?

How do many of the people in the region in question feel?

And how do the families of the Russian security troops stationed in the dangorous zone feel?

You can rarely please all parties I know, but Russia finding the best middle ground for the largest group of people that involves the least chance of violence is the obvious way to go.

How to get there I have no clue...

Hopfully this ends well. :-?

I found one of those on Google, liked how he put things, and copy pasted much of his work here. Yes, I am a cheater lol

Well, you are, after all honest!
But you must think that he's good at expressing himself because you also copied this post.

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2425

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/least-one-blast-maybe-two-page3-t91270.html

It makes me doubt whether you are what you say!
Is your military rank of Airborne Lieutenant also a copy / paste job?

Well, you are, after all honest!
But you must think that he's good at expressing himself because you also copied this post.

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2425

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/least-one-blast-maybe-two-page3-t91270.html

It makes me doubt whether you are what you say!
Is your military rank of Airborne Lieutenant also a copy / paste job?

Yes, I copied some from him. So what? He seemed like a smart guy, it is a forum I look at sometimes, though I don't really post there. But I do take ideas from there.

It does not mean I am some sort of liar or something... And my rank is not Airborne Lieutenant, it's Guard Lieutenant.

Yes, I copied some from him. So what? He seemed like a smart guy, it is a forum I look at sometimes, though I don't really post there. But I do take ideas from there.

It does not mean I am some sort of liar or something... And my rank is not Airborne Lieutenant, it's Guard Lieutenant.

I agree although it may help to reference the guy or at least state that it is an opinion you agree with rather than let people assume it is your own work.

1. Russia had an empire called the Soviet Union. This the Russians must be missing. They would want to reoccupy all lost territory eventually, and in the interim, dominate Dagestan/Caucasus. That would be natural to expect.

2. Should Russia let things stand as they are, then the Muslims would be demographically dominant in Russia quite soon. There has been some fear that the armed forces are already experiencing this.

3. Historically Russians haven't shown much fascination for peaceful solutions. I suspect they will hang on to these territories, and the resultant power struggle will see, perhaps within this century, Tartars/Mongols/Cossacks back in Moscow to rule.

Copied some...!
In two cases it is a complete copy.
So that GHR is skeptical, I can well understand.

This's a possible and desirable way, other variants would be deadly for Russia.
1. Russia had an empire called the Soviet Union. This the Russians must be missing. They would want to reoccupy all lost territory eventually, and in the interim, dominate Dagestan/Caucasus. That would be natural to expect.

2. Should Russia let things stand as they are, then the Muslims would be demographically dominant in Russia quite soon. There has been some fear that the armed forces are already experiencing this.

3. Historically Russians haven't shown much fascination for peaceful solutions. I suspect they will hang on to these territories, and the resultant power struggle will see, perhaps within this century, Tartars/Mongols/Cossacks back in Moscow to rule.

B******t. Nobody among Russians wanted any unions with these wilders, nobody asked us about Union with Caucasus. If some Russians are missing of soviet times, they dream about "good economics", peace, strong army, but not about territorial expansion.

Back