April 29th, 2004  

Topic: Latin

Amantes sunt amentes - Lovers are lunatics

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris amplioris - Face it, you're stuck in a dead end job

Braccae tuae aperiuntur - Your fly is open

Brevis ipsa vita est sed malis fit longior - Our life is short but is made longer by misfortunes. (Publilius Syrus)

Canis meus id comedit - My dog ate it

Credidi me felem vidisse! - I tought I taw a puddy tat!

Cui peccare licet peccat minus - One who is allowed to sin, sins less. (Ovid)

just some good quotes ive found
May 6th, 2004  
Those rock man. Next time my teacher asks me where my homework is, I'm ready.

Here's a great website.
May 6th, 2004  
Thats a nice site i have some more

Da mihi sis cerevisiam dilutam - I'll have a light beer
Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum *** omnibus in eo - I'll have a pizza with everything on it
Damnant quod non intellegunt - They condemn what they do not understand
De nihilo nihil - Nothing comes from nothing. (Lucretius)
Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem! - The devil made me do it!
Dic mihi solum facta, domina - Just the facts, ma'am
Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient
Die dulci freure - Have a nice day
Dulce bellum inexpertis - War is sweet for those who haven't experienced it. (Pindaros)
May 29th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot
(im sure their are some duplicates but oh well)
ab imo pectore - from the bottom of the chest (from the heart)
ab absurdo - from the absurd (establishing the validity of your argument by pointing out the absurdity of your opponent's position)
absit omen - may the omen be absent (may this not be an omen)
abusus non tollit usum - misuse does not nullify proper use
abyssus abyssum invocat - hell calls hell (one mistep leads to another)
acta est fabula - the drama has been acted out. Usually in the context of a life or event coming to an unhappy end
ad praesens ova cras pullis sunt meliora - eggs today are better than chickens tomorrow (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
adversus solem ne loquitor - don't speak against the sun (don't waste your time arguing the obvious)
aegrescit medendo - the disease worsens with the treatment (the remedy is worse than the disease)
aeternum vale - farewell forever
a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi - a precipice in front, wolves behind (between a rock and a hard place)
alea iacta est - the die is cast. Julius Caesar uttered this when making the decision to cross the Rubicon in 49 B.C. Used when a bold and irretrievable decision has been made.
altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi - the deepest rivers flow with the least sound (still waters run deep)
amare et sapere vix deo conceditur - even a god finds it hard to love and be wise at the same time
amantes sunt amentes - lovers are lunatics
amantium irae amoris integratio est - lovers quarrels are the renewal of love
amicus humani generis - a friend of the human race (philanthropist)
amor vincit omnia - love conquers all
animis opibusque parati - prepared in minds and resources (ready for anything)
argumentum ad hominem - an argument against the man. Directing an argument against an opponent's character rather than the subject at hand.
ars longa, vita brevis - art is long, but life is short.
asinus asinum fricat - the ass rubs the ass (used to describe two people lavishing excessive praise on one another)
audaces fortuna iuvat - fortune favours the bold
aut disce aut discede - either learn or leave
aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I'll either find a way or make one
aut vincere aut mori - either to conquer or to die
ave, Caesar, morituri te salutamus - hail, Caesar, we who are about to die salute you
beati possidentes - blessed are those who possess (possession is nine points of the law)
beneficium accipere libertatem est vendere - to accept a favour is to sell one's freedom
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis - good wine gladdens a person's heart
carpe diem - seize the day
caveat emptor - let the buyer beware
cave canem - beware of the dog
cave quid dicis, quando, et cui - beware what you say, when, and to whom
cogito ergo sum - I think, therefore I exist
Cras amet qui nunquam amavit;
Quique amavit, cras amet - May he love tomorrow who has never loved before;
And may he who has loved, love tomorrow as well
*** grano salis - with a grain of salt
curae leves loquuntur ingentes stupent - slight griefs talk, great ones are speechless (minor losses can be talked away, profound ones strike us dumb)
de duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum - of two evils, the lesser is always to be chosen (choose the lesser of two evils)
de minimis non curat praetor - a praetor does not occupy himself with petty matters (don't bother me with petty matters)
diem perdidi - I have lost a day (another day wasted)
dixi - I have spoken (I will say no more on the matter, and no one else may speak further)
docendo discimus - teach in order to learn (we learn by teaching)
donec eris felix, multos numerabis amicos - as long as you are fortunate, you will have many friends (when you are successful, everyone wants to be your friend)
dura lex sed lex - the law is hard, but it is the law
errare humanum est - to err is human
exegi monumentum aere perennius - I have raised a monument more durable than bronze (from Horace's Odes)
exitus acta probat - the result validates the deeds. Avers that any means, no matter how foul may be used if the intended result is good. A dangerous idea.
fabas indulcet fames - hunger sweetens the beans. Beans being a poor man's fare implied that hunger makes everything taste good
facta non verba - deeds, not words (Actions speak louder than words)
fortes fortuna iuvat - fortune favours the brave
fortiter in re, suaviter in modo - resolutely in action, gently in manner. To do unhesitatingly what must be done but accomplishing it as inoffensively as possible.
in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello - in peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war
mendacem memorem esse oportet - it is fitting that a liar should be a man of good memory (liars should have good memories)
mens sana in corpore sano - a sound mind in a sound body
nemo liber est qui corpori servit - no one is free who is a slave to his body
nemo me impune lacessit - no one provokes me with impunity. (motto of the kings of Scotland)
non est vivere sed valere vita est - life is not being alive but being well (life is more than just being alive)
non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis - not for you, not for me, but for us
non semper erit aestas - it will not always be summer (be prepared for hard times)
non teneas aurum totum quod splendet ut aurum - do not take as gold everything that shines like gold
nulli secundus - second to none
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis - all things change, and we change with them
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus - mountains will be in labour, and an absurd mouse will be born (all that work and nothing to show for it)
parva leves capiunt animas - small things occupy light minds (small things amuse small minds)
pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes - flatterers are the worst type of enemies
possunt quia posse videntur - they can because they seem to be able to (they can do it because they think they can do it - the power of positive thinking)
potius mori quam foedari - rather to die than to be dishonoured (death before dishonour)
praemonitus pramunitus - forewarned, forearmed
proprium humani ingenii est odisse quem laeseris - it is human nature to hate a person whom you have injured
quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur - whom the gods love die young (only the good die young)
quid novi? - what's new?
qui scribit bis legit - he who writes reads twice Something to keep in mind when developing Web pages
radix omnium malorum est cupiditas - the love of money is the root of all evil. Avarice is the problem, money itself is not evil.
respice, adspice, prospice - examine the past, examine the present, examine the future (look to the past, the present, the future)
respondeat superior - let the superior answer (a supervisor must take responsibility for the quality of a subordinate's work)
sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat - a wise man states as true nothing he does not prove (don't swear to anything you don't know firsthand)
semper fidelis - always faithful (Motto of the United States Marine Corps)
semper paratus - always ready (Motto of the United States Coast Guard)
si fecisti nega! - if you did it, deny it (stonewall!)
si finis bonus est, totum bonum erit - if the end is good, everything will be good (all's well that ends well)
si post fata venit gloria non propero - if glory comes after death, I'm not in a hurry (if one must die to be recognised, I can wait)
stultorum calami carbones moenia chartae - chalk is the pen of fools, walls (their) paper No Graffiti please. Showing that graffiti is nothing new.
sumptus censum ne superet - let not your spending exceed your income (live within your means)
tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito - Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them
una salus victis nullam sperare salutem - the one safety for the vanquished is to abandon hope of safety knowing there is no hope can give one the courage to fight and win
vade in pace - Go in peace (Roman way of saying goodbye)
veni vidi vici - I came, I saw, I conquered Julius Caesar's report of victory in 47 B.C. over Pharnaces, king of Pontus
veritas vos liberabit - the truth shall make you free
victis honor - honour to the vanquished
vincit qui se vincit - he conquers who conquers himself Advice for anyone contemplating a diet or kicking a habit.
vir sapit qui pauca loquitur - that man is wise who talks little (know when to hold your tongue)
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est - life is more than merely staying alive
May 29th, 2004  

Best site ever.