Joint Strike Fighter - More delays! - Page 3

--

January 18th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Then there was the TSR-2................
January 19th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Then there was the TSR-2................
She ticked every box except the political one, thanks to Duncan Sandys who wrote a white paper stating the time of piloted aircraft is over. That also lead to the scrapping of the Canadian AVRO Arrow, the best aircraft of it's day.
January 19th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
She ticked every box except the political one, thanks to Duncan Sandys who wrote a white paper stating the time of piloted aircraft is over. That also lead to the scrapping of the Canadian AVRO Arrow, the best aircraft of it's day.
The thing with TSR-2 was that she was seen as the main compettitor to the F-111 in the world market.
Severe political pressure was put on the British government to stop the project.
They didn't just stop production, Harrold Wilson gave orders that all prototypes, drawings, and jigs were to be destroyed, so even if they lost the next election, the new government could not restart the project.
The RAF were meant to get a version of the F-111 instead.
--
January 19th, 2012  
BritinBritain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
The thing with TSR-2 was that she was seen as the main compettitor to the F-111 in the world market.
Severe political pressure was put on the British government to stop the project.
They didn't just stop production, Harrold Wilson gave orders that all prototypes, drawings, and jigs were to be destroyed, so even if they lost the next election, the new government could not restart the project.
The RAF were meant to get a version of the F-111 instead.
Then the F111 order was cancelled costing Britain millions. Thankfully the Lightning was too far forward in its development to be cancelled.

There is one survivor at Duxford, or was last time I was there.
January 19th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
Then the F111 order was cancelled costing Britain millions. Thankfully the Lightning was too far forward in its development to be cancelled.

There is one survivor at Duxford, or was last time I was there.
There are two TSR2s, one at Duxford and one at Cosford.
The Duxford airframe is the only one that flew.
The Cosford one was dumped at Cranfield Institute, just up the road from me, where it was rotting away untill it was recovered by the RAF Museum.
All airframes were meant to have been scrapped, direct orders from No 10.
They wanted nothing left at all.
The Lightning was an incredible aircraft.
I met an Aggressor pilot, then based at RAF Alconbury, and he said that the Lightning, and then the Harrier, were the only two aircraft that scared the pants out of him in simulated combat.
The Lighting because it could go straight up with no warning, and the Harrier because it could go backwards with no warning!
January 19th, 2012  
BritinBritain

I heard that the Lightning from Thunder City broke the world climb record again.
January 19th, 2012  
Trooper1854

Quote:
I heard that the Lightning from Thunder City broke the world climb record again.
Not at all suprised.
Never got to see one fly
Will have to get up to Bruntingthorpe to see theirs do its fast taxi run.
They do it at night with afterburner.
I know its not the same but its the closest I'll ever get.
January 21st, 2012  
BritinBritain

If you want to get a "close" experience of a Lightning taking off in full reheat, sit inside a 45 gallon drum and let four blokes pound the crap out of it with 14 pound hammers. Ear muffs are not allowed.
January 21st, 2012  
George

F-35B is off "probation".
January 21st, 2012  
Trooper1854

I just read this, its a quote from a former Lightning pilot:

"Lightning never strikes twice, as they always get their target first pass!"