Joining and Waiting.

FULLMETALJACKET

MilForum Bad Apple
I want to be a U.S. Marine, but i still have 2 years of High school left, what will happen if after i get through with boot, and there is no war in iraq, then what will i become? a reserve? The point is i dont want to be a reserve, i want to serve, as soon as possible.

The point of a standing military is that whenever the war is over the military remains. Once you entered the Marine Corps you would remain active duty for the rest of your enlistment.

if the war in iraq is "over" dont worry im sure we will have some other turmoil somewhere. in the world there is always something that we can get our hands into :). Marines are good at that

is the quote or saying that the Marines are "first to Fight." always true? also i went down to the recruiting corner yesterday where each of the branches has their own offices and went into the army and marine one, and im proud to say that for once in my life i know what i want to be, a Marine.

The Marine Corps also hass another litle saying that some old saltdogs may have heard of: "Tip of the spear".

Generally yes, the USMC will be the first in the fight. We are likened to America's 911 force. We can deploy and be on scene within a very short period of time anywhere in the world.

Depends,on the mission. Are the Marines first to fight every time? Nope. Sometimes it's the Army. Sometimes the Navy. Sometimes the Air Force.

The response Force is dictated by the situation. If the problem needs a heavy air strike it will be a Carrier Task Force or the Air Force. If it needs boots on the ground then it will be USMC SOC/MEU or a RDF from the Army.

03USMC said:
Depends,on the mission. Are the Marines first to fight every time? Nope. Sometimes it's the Army. Sometimes the Navy. Sometimes the Air Force.

The response Force is dictated by the situation. If the problem needs a heavy air strike it will be a Carrier Task Force or the Air Force. If it needs boots on the ground then it will be USMC SOC/MEU or a RDF from the Army.

I had not thought of that.

true, because in some situations i can see why the Marines wouldn't be the first to fight. but for the most part, when the boots on the ground are needed, it's the usmc?

Interesting issue of who's "first to fight" you've brought up there.

As 03USMC says, it all depends on who is needed for the job.
For example, we have our ready response (I guess they live by the same motto of "first to fight" or "tip of the spear"). They are 1 and 2 RAR (Both Light Infantry - 1 RAR has Airborne capability). But despite this role the SASR and 4RAR are often the first in anything.

So it very much would depend on the situation. It may not always be viable for the marines to be first on the ground.

As for the war being over, I don't think you'll find that'll happen to soon, and even if it has, I'm sure we'll (USA, UK & Australia) be seeing active service in a whole plethora of other places (Iran?). So I'm not to worried about a lack of overseas service when I graduate RMC, my only worry now is getting into the Inf battalion I want.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
true, because in some situations i can see why the Marines wouldn't be the first to fight. but for the most part, when the boots on the ground are needed, it's the usmc?

No not for the most part. You can't generalize it. If the trouble spot is more excessable to a MEU sure. But if say the 82nd Airborne or 10th Mountain or another closer Army unit has a greater speed of response they will get it.

Couple that with scenerios such as Grenada or Panama or Haiti where there was prep time and the Army having the ability to put more assets in the area. There is never any givens the Marines are always first.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
wow 82nd, if i would of made a post like that it would of already been removed, as it had nothing to do with the subject.

Yes it does have something to do with the Subject. He's Referencing the response time of the 82nd Abn Divisions DRB-1 ;)

Back