Joining a PMC with no official training

Renegade 13

Wanted to know, do PMCs hire a person, or a squad of people, who have no legit military training? If me and some friends (who I'm currently looking for to come with me :neutral:) who've been working out and getting backhand training and knowledge, and have our own gear, wanted to join one, would it be possible, disregarding how difficult I'm sure it could be? And what's the usual age that PMCs hire mercenaries (hopefully 16+), and do they usually require a high school education? Also, do PMCs usually supply their contractors with weapons, do we have to have our own weapons, or can we bring just sidearms and have them supply us with select fire rifles, smgs, etc. And do they care if we wear our own personalized gear?

I also wanted to know how they go about giving jobs. Would they give us a job to do , allow us to negotiate a job, or give us options of jobs to take?

Forgive me if I messed up some of the terminology or some of the questions seem stupid, but there was little in depth information I could find on PMCs, aside from Blackwater International (which I know probably won't hire a couple of kids with guns).

hmmmm

Perhaps a comment or two could be helpful. Consider if you will, my friend, if you were to go and seek employment with a local carpenter firm or a mechanic shop or a house painting company or any other kind of business. In general they will want to know how much experience you have so they know how useful you can be and maybe what kind of tools you have experience with and what you have built or what cars you repaired or how many houses have you painted. Get the idea? Nowadays the term PMC or private military corporation can denote a wide range of military or police activity with probably the most common type of endeavor that pays the bills being personal protective services for executives and foreign workers abroad. In general these are commercial enterprises that do not have the resources or time to engage in extensive training programs although there are mission specific types of orientation predicated on the basis of someone having prior general ability. Some services are uniformed, some are plainclothes or otherwise environment specific, foreign language ability can be a plus, how familiar are you with other cultures, can you blend? A word about tattoos, avoid them or get them removed, they diminish your usefulness as an identity neutral operative although opinions do vary and there are exceptions. Consider that if you commit a crime while employed as a security agent of any type any where on the planet, you could be arrested and returned to the country of your offense, so beware what you get mixed up in. Also taxes, do you want to go down on your tax return as a rootin tootin guerilla smokin' monster killer? Or how about a teacher who has a side business in antiquities that requires travel? You need to be able to buy health insurance and fly under the IRS radar. Remember, the term mercenary simply means something that is performed for money and military and police professionals are no different. You have to learn a profession before someone will pay you. So, stay in school and learn a trade or get a degree, or serve a stint in the US military and learn something useful that someone will pay you for. The movies ain't the real thing and the real thing ain't the movies. regards.

I can't think of any PMC that'll hire "a couple of kids with guns". None that are legitimate, at least. Camelman is pretty much dead on when it comes to PMC's wanting people who are already trained by the military, police, etc...

And define "backhand training and knowledge" for me. Airsoft and Call of Duty does not count.

Finish school, join the military, go overseas a couple of times. If that doesn't put you off and you're still looking for more, then consider applying for a PMC.

Thank you Camelman, for giving me a better picture of PMCs. I think I'll take you and AFSteliga up on your advice. And to answer AFStelgia's question, a relative of mine who served in the marines taught me about everything he could remember that in his opinion was "important".

A very quick way to die.
Seriously get proper military training and field experience before entering a very dangerous world with a high rate of caualties.
Most companies only recruit very experienced operators and conduct thorough background checks to ensure your Cv is legite.

This question smacks of wishful idealism of someone who has no idea of the reality of the work.

Short answer. No they will not hire you. You are the people they are trying to avoid hiring.

Training is not something 'some guy told me'. It is something taught by professionals through theory and practical lessons, that are assessed, and that you get a Record of Attainment for (or other such document to prove it). No matter how much this guy told you, and how much airsoft or paintball you've played it cannot under any circumstances replace proper military training. How can you possibly try and replicate live fire combined arms practices by night with indirect support?

You can't.

In my opinion if you try and do this and somehow wrangle your way into the MEAO you will end up dead, or on your knees in front of a video camera reading from a prepared statement waiting to end up dead.

Kids these days....:roll:

I can light a bottle rocket, so tomorrow I am going to apply as and propulsion expert and as an astronaut.

Roger that!

I'll just add one useful bit of advice for him.

If you want to get involved join a junior military group (I'm not sure what the US equivalent of the Army Cadets are). Before you know it you'll be old enough to enlist, but finishing your schooling first is a very good move.

You won't miss out on the action, it'll still be there in a few years time.

Does anyone know of a PMC that will hire someone trained as Air Force Security Forces but hasn't been deployed downrange. I'm a qualified marksman and small arms expert

Back