Joining the Marines? - Page 3

--

September 15th, 2004  
03USMC

Topic: What does Marine Infantry do?

Marines assigned to Rifle and Weapons companies have a pretty dull life in garrison. You clean weapons, do working parties,stand guard duty, stand inspections,and sit thru EST classes.
But not to worry you won't spend much time in garrison you'll be a field rat. If your not deployed on float or outside CONUS.
September 18th, 2004  
Sooners1

I enjoyed every minute I was in, the sacrifice I meant was you have to want it. I wanted to be a Marine more than anything, put your mind and body into it and you will enjoy every second, ***** and whine and you will be miserable. I also can say I hated garrison big time. 0331
September 19th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners1
I enjoyed every minute I was in, the sacrifice I meant was you have to want it. I wanted to be a Marine more than anything, put your mind and body into it and you will enjoy every second, b**ch and whine and you will be miserable. I also can say I hated garrison big time. 0331
You didn't like to make white rocks, check GP tents, or mess duty? Garrison was the worst, monotonous floats with the only excitement blowing up 55 gal drums over the fan tail, that was just as bad...
--
September 22nd, 2004  
Stafford911

Some of you enlisted guys will probably agree with me here and I know this goes without saying but I've met people who thought it was going to be a picnic. This isnt going to be like a movie where you buzz through the ranks and lighting quick pace and become a hero overnight. This is real life where your life is in danger every time you are in the field(if you are the field) and somtimes even not in battle so dont appraoch this like a game. Dont do somthing stupid thinking there is gonna be a reset button. Just keep that in mind before you make a decition.
September 23rd, 2004  
Sooners1

This is very true. I saw a few guys come in and think that it was a country club and that they only had to work from 9-5 and do whatever. It is a job, but not a civilian job, this is the Marines folks. You will be in harms way at some point, it will be how you handle it, that will prove what kinda Marine you will be or want to be.
September 23rd, 2004  
03USMC

Listen to the nice 0331 boys and girls. The Corps especially the combat arms (Infantry Artillery, Tanks, Tracs, and Combat Engineers) is not workin at mickey d's.
You will go days without free time,You will work holidays maybe far from home in a hostile enviroment.
You won't get leave when you want it.

But if you choose Infantry you will take just as much pride in being called Grunt as you do Marine. You will learn to love cammie stick,and the smell of CLP.

It ain't for everybody. But for those of us that chose it few of us will ever regret it.
September 24th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Listen to the nice 0331 boys and girls. The Corps especially the combat arms (Infantry Artillery, Tanks, Tracs, and Combat Engineers) is not workin at mickey d's.
You will go days without free time,You will work holidays maybe far from home in a hostile enviroment.
You won't get leave when you want it.

But if you choose Infantry you will take just as much pride in being called Grunt as you do Marine. You will learn to love cammie stick,and the smell of CLP.

It ain't for everybody. But for those of us that chose it few of us will ever regret it.
You forgot the bug juice!!!

I always liked the smell of the bug juice I mixed with the cammie stick to make the ancient things pliable, stole some of those nice "makeup" kits from some rangers that I worked with in Korea, now that stuff was nice.
September 24th, 2004  
03USMC

Yep your right bug juice. And cordite. And if yer stationed at Pendelton the smell of licorce root.
September 24th, 2004  
Sooners1

AAAHHH the good ole days...
September 24th, 2004  
Stafford911

BUg Juice?