To join or not to join?

Toolwalz

I recently joined the National Guard and will be shipped to Fort Leonard Wood in 2 weeks. I am overweight (5'10 235lbs) and meps told me I'm 29% BF when the max is 26. I took the arms test and passed. I understand the entry requirements for basic is 17 situps, 13 pushups, and a mile run under 8:30. I can currently run a mile between 10 and 11 mins so I more than likely will be sent to fat camp. I talked to a few people (including my recruiter) and they all say that I'll get in shape and I should be able to make it through. The question I have is am I in good enough shape to survive BCT? Can I be kicked out before I even start BCT?

no, you can't be kicked out before you start, but if you don't pass the APFT, you will not graduate from basic training. also, you need to make weight upon graduation from AIT.

With that, I have seen Soldiers loose 60 pounds in 9 weeks if they apply themselves. You need to start running NOW and get into shape.

The key is burning more calories than you are taking in on a given day, which you can definitely control before you ship out, it's just a matter of will power. When you go through BCT, you will have opportunities to pick the junk foods, soda and all that crap in the DFAC, but it is highly discouraged. You will also make yourself a target for the Drills, because they do see that kind of stuff.

Moral of the story, follow the MAJ's advice and make good decisions. Hell I went in under the max height/weight standard and lost 20lbs by the end, and I too have seen Soldiers lose a heck of a lot more than that.

You going to be an Engineer?

Being a Combat Engineer is dangerous work, you have to be in shape, or you could get injured, and or injure someone else.

I've seen Fort Wood drop the fat right off people who needed a little extra workout before going into Basic Training, and you are going at the best time to lose a lot of weight fast as summer is upon the United States, and Fort Wood does get hot in the summertime.

I have one more thing to add to the others advice.

1. Stop eating **** and start to exercise, ALOT.

It´s THAT simple, and it takes a rather small amount of willpower to get there.
This is not said with illwill towards you.
Fact is, if you have the weight issue over and done with you´ll have time and energy to learn more about being a soldier instead of worrying about meeting weight requierments and **** like that.
The more you have time to learn, the better a soldier you are going to be.

Now stop reading, go out and run two miles in under 20 minutes, then knock out 2X20 push ups and 2X20 sit ups for good measure.

Come back and tell us how you did.

//KJ.

You won't have time to get into shape before you leave since you're leaving in 2 weeks. But when you get there, try to pass your intial PT test, push it as hard as you can. You may surprise yourself. Don't run a comfortable pace.

Like everyone else has said, BCT will get you into shape but you have to be willing to apply yourself to the PT. It's easy to do your situps half ass or your pushups, the Drills probably won't see you with all of the other trainees around so it's up to YOU to hold yourself to a high standard each and every time.

Stay positive, stay motivated and don't stress about things you can't change. You'll be fine. Good luck and remember to have some fun!

Thanks for the info. I keep telling myself that I'm probabally not the worst out of shape slob that's graduated. I know It will be hard but I'm just going kick as much ass as I can and try to pass PT.

If and when you graduate from Fort Wood you will be neither out of shape nor a slob.

Don't sell yourself short.

Thanks for the info. I keep telling myself that I'm probabally not the worst out of shape slob that's graduated. I know It will be hard but I'm just going kick as much ass as I can and try to pass PT.

If you push yourself, you can make your 1 mile run. It will hurt and you might puke, but eh, it's only a few mins out of your life. Better than sitting around in fat camp for a month.

You won't be in great shape by the time you leave basic if you aren't in great shape when you get there, but you will be able to pass your PT test at least with a 60% in each event. Is that good? Not really, but it's a great foundation to build on as long as you stay motivated.

You seem to have a good attitude now so you'll most likely do fine. Don't worry so much, just push yourself and go with the flow.

Is the Marines and Army the same training? I don't know if it is to hard because I don't have physical condition just a little bit.

Uhh....it all depends on your aspect. The Marine Corps boot camp has not changed as drastically as the Army boot camp has over the past decade (as far as I know).

So in my opinion (which may be biased) I tend to believe the Marine Corps boot camp is harder mentally if not physically.

so that means you don't need a lot of physical condition?, and anothr question what abou if you are not citizen or resident of USA do they accept you?

This question has been answered numerous times. The SEARCH button is your friend, time to start learning how to do your own work.

so that means you don't need a lot of physical condition?, and anothr question what abou if you are not citizen or resident of USA do they accept you?

You are a Citizen though, are you asking for a friend?

There is a list of Nations whos Citizens are allowed entry into the United States Military, and that list is kept by the United States Government.
The action of joining the United States Military as a Non US Citizen is usually used as a path to full US Citizenship.

So in my opinion (which may be biased) I tend to believe the Marine Corps boot camp is harder mentally if not physically.

I never said you do not need to be in shape, nor did I say one was harder than the other in the physical aspect. I said that it is harder mentally.

Reading comprehension 101.

Back