Jarhead - The Movie

Missileer said:
In movieland, if you're not ripped, male or female, you play the fat, dumb (or genius) sidekick. Since those parts don't pay as well, most Hollyweirds employ permanent personal trainers. Actually, they just marry one and get them free.

Like Devito of Peshi.

I watched about half of it. It was a waste of my time. I am not sure how things were in 1989 but I know that most if not all of the "frivolous" behavior would now not be tolerated.

Santa hats? Give me a break. This movie is one of the reasons I do not watch movies where the military is concerned. All it does is irritate me to no end.

As near as I can tell having finally watched this steaming pile of celluloid this movie is the 21st century homage to Stanley Kubrik's Full Metal Jacket, hell even half the DI's lines are swiped from the original film.

Hollow-wood does not make films to reflect reality. They make films to make money and to do that you must entertain. Reality is not entertaining for most people hence the crap you see on the screen purporting to be reality.

Someone stop me when I get to a "military" film that reflects reality...
Green Berets
Full Metal Jacket
Hunt For Red October
Top Gun
Rambo (any of them)
POW
Boys in Company C
Windtalkers
Pearl Harbour
The Longest Day
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Anzio
The Guns of Navarone
Gallipoli
Adanngaman
Apocalypse Now
Band of Outsiders
Deer Hunter
Devil's Brigade
Enema at the Gates
Gettysburg
Hart's War
Clear and Present Danger
The Sum of All Fears
Kandahar
Men of Honor
Men of War
Red Scorpion
The Patriot
Platoon
Red Dawn
The Last Samurai
Tears of the Sun
The Killing Fields
Tora Tora Tora
South Pacific
Three Kings
U-571
K-19
Patton
Hamburger Hill
The Golden Triangle
Thin Red Line
ad nauseum...

Great entertainment- sure, true to life abso:cen:inglutely not. What is more disturbing to me than this film is the fact some of you actually had the thought it might possibly could be real. :shock:

I think it was supposed to be based on the book, which was based on the guy's experience in the Marine Corps. I have talked to at least 20 Marines that said it was a total waste of their time to even pop it in the dvd player, let alone sit through it to the end.

I don't think it irritated me so much about the accuracy, maybe more the portrayal of the Marine Corps in general. I have sat through and enjoyed several of the movies you listed there bulldogg, but this was one I could not stand to see again.

I am not a Marine and I know in my gut that this film is crap. Sometimes me n some friends will rent a movie such as this and the enjoyment comes only from taking the piss and pointing out each and every line of dung to those who are uninitiated.
:)
Like in Rambo when he uses the radio switch to launch missles from the huey or the backblast from the shoulder fired rocket does no harm to the bastard behind him, that's funny and entertaining in a different way I s'pose.

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
As near as I can tell having finally watched this steaming pile of celluloid this movie is the 21st century homage to Stanley Kubrik's Full Metal Jacket, hell even half the DI's lines are swiped from the original film.

Hollow-wood does not make films to reflect reality. They make films to make money and to do that you must entertain. Reality is not entertaining for most people hence the crap you see on the screen purporting to be reality.

Great entertainment- sure, true to life abso:cen:inglutely not. What is more disturbing to me than this film is the fact some of you actually had the thought it might possibly could be real. :shock:

true true.. its also sad that the makers of the movie dont try to make it as real... always seem, hollywoodish..

Like, even Kingdom of Heaven wast that acurate..

I dont know why they creat movies that kind of represent real events in histroy, and yet add to it, and or make it worse by ruining it!

Man when I watch historical based movies, I want the truth and for it to be accurate.. I dont want to waste my time watching a movie for fun.. I want to learn, in a more fun way 8)

Back