Italy likes US Vipers

rock45

Italy looking to sign a new lease I guess they like our Vipers and one can only assume not enough of the EF2000 are operational.

Some Italy's past projects
The AMX project was something Italy and Brazil should have pulled out of long before the first aircraft was made. Both could have bought off the shelf aircraft and saved hundreds of millions of dollars. Under powered, weak radar, average payload, average weapons systems, brand new shinny F-16s at the time cost less. The AMX should have been a design cut before production this guy from another forum told me that they cost Brazil $36 mil per.

Watch Italy will retired there AMX fleet if a new lease is signed to cut operational cost. The EF2000 are costly to begin with and some purchases of the new M346 trainer have been made. The trainers specs almost out perform the AMX and they only run in modern times around $25 mil per.
icon12.gif

To any Brazilian/Italians fans out there, there's nothing wrong with learning to build and design aircraft don't get me wrong. It's just this project was just too costly and the end result was a under performer from the beginning.

Italy to extend Lockheed Martin F-16 lease deal
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...o-extend-lockheed-martin-f-16-lease-deal.html

As technology advances, it's becoming less about the airframe itself and more about its electronics and the range of the weapons it carries. Being able to fire at an enemy 165 km away or 20G capable missiles with 180+ degree tracking sight don't give much escape margin to a manned aircraft of any maneuverability level.

Technology advances

I agree technology advances are huge I agree 100%. I heard a rumor that stealth wing mounted weapons aren't far away so new weapons with very low RCS will be even more effective.

Advance UAV, laser, and space weapons aren't far behind either. :wink:

Back