Ireland a republic - Page 3




 
--
 
May 14th, 2006  
tomtom22
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben
A republic was proclaimed, but at the peace treaty the representatives of Ireland accepted dominion status. Ireland did not become a repbulic until 1948. Those are the facts.
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed, and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!
May 14th, 2006  
redcoat
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed,
And you are an expert on what the Irish people believed in that period then, are you ?
Quote:
and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!
We are dealing in facts, not wishful thinking.
Stop trying to re-write history, there are already far too many people attempting to do that.

If the State was a republic in 1922, what on earth was the Irish civil war of 1922-3 all about then ????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...ivil_war.shtml
May 14th, 2006  
Reiben
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom22
True, but what really matters is what the Irish people thought and believed, and no matter what you say, or what facts you quote, you cannot change what is in the minds of the people!


I guess I am not going to change your view, but I deal in facts on this one.

In December 1898, the U.S. purchased the Philippines and other territories from Spain at the Treaty of Paris for the sum of $20 million, after the U.S. defeated Spain in the Spanish-American War. The U.S. government made plans to make the Philippines an American colony. However, the Filipinos, fighting for their independence from Spain had already declared their independence on 12 June 1898.

On 1 January 1899, Aguinaldo was declared the first President of the Philippines. President McKinley subsequently declared Aguinaldo to be an "outlaw bandit". The United States declared the insurgency officially over in 1902.

The people of the Philippines surely thought themselves to be a republic.

The Philippines came under overall U.S. control and were organized as a United States territory. In 1935, their status was upgraded to that of an American commonwealth, and plans were made to grant the islands independence in the next decade. Independence for the Philippines was finally granted on 4 July 1946.
--
May 15th, 2006  
tomtom22
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiben


I guess I am not going to change your view, but I deal in facts on this one.

In December 1898, the U.S. purchased the Philippines and other territories from Spain at the Treaty of Paris for the sum of $20 million, after the U.S. defeated Spain in the Spanish-American War. The U.S. government made plans to make the Philippines an American colony. However, the Filipinos, fighting for their independence from Spain had already declared their independence on 12 June 1898.

On 1 January 1899, Aguinaldo was declared the first President of the Philippines. President McKinley subsequently declared Aguinaldo to be an "outlaw bandit". The United States declared the insurgency officially over in 1902.

The people of the Philippines surely thought themselves to be a republic.

The Philippines came under overall U.S. control and were organized as a United States territory. In 1935, their status was upgraded to that of an American commonwealth, and plans were made to grant the islands independence in the next decade. Independence for the Philippines was finally granted on 4 July 1946.
What's the Philippines got to do with Ireland?
May 15th, 2006  
Reiben
 
 
Same principle as Irleand, it just happened in the Philippines.
May 19th, 2006  
dougal
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
And you are an expert on what the Irish people believed in that period then, are you ?

We are dealing in facts, not wishful thinking.
Stop trying to re-write history, there are already far too many people attempting to do that.

If the State was a republic in 1922, what on earth was the Irish civil war of 1922-3 all about then ????

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/timelin...ivil_war.shtml
This is fact not fiction, people of Ireland did not reconise british rule and declared themselfs free, however british force had a different opion. As in many countries around the world
May 19th, 2006  
Reiben
 
 
Irish republicians declared indpendence, but at the resulting peace conference accepted dominion status. Ireland formally and legally became a republic in 1948.
August 15th, 2006  
dougal
 
 
whats legal when local people are being bullied out of being themsleves,

browse a film called 'the wind that shakes the barley'.
August 15th, 2006  
Irishone
 
 
Saw this film last week. Great Movie. Finally showing the light on that the british really were like. Instead of it always been about the ra.

Fact:
The state known today as the Republic of Ireland came into being when 26 of the counties of Ireland seceded from the United kingdom and Ireland (UK) in 1922.

Redcoat that my friend is fact. If we wanted to rewrite history we go back to 1886
August 18th, 2006  
Padre
 
 
You tell em lads !