Iran Revolutionary Guards: Unit engraved emblem on U.S. ship

--

February 14th, 2007  
phoenix80

Topic: Iran Revolutionary Guards: Unit engraved emblem on U.S. ship

A commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guards said Wednesday that a commando unit has engraved the military organization's emblem into the side panel of an American warship stationed in the Persian Gulf.

Nur Ali Shushkari, the head of the Revolutionary Guards ground forces, told Iranian pro-government news agencies that the symbol was etched onto the ship by the crew of a submarine that had managed to reach the U.S. vessel without detection by radar.

Shushkari did not release specific details about the incident, but claimed that the operation proved that Iranian forces are following American fleet traffic in the region.

Shushkari warned the United States that if a confrontation arises, all American forces in the gulf as well as targets inside the U.S. itself would be targets for attack.

In recent months, the U.S. has increased its forces in the Persian Gulf and has carried out a number of exercise maneuvers which have been viewed by the Iranians as threatening.

Despite this, U.S. President George Bush has insisted that the American army has no plans to invade Iran.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/826019.html

-----------------

This is really stupid
February 14th, 2007  
jequirity

They probably carved the equivalent of "Jim was here" on the back of a pedalo
February 14th, 2007  
senojekips

I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen the evidence.
--
February 15th, 2007  
bulldogg

^^^ What he said.
February 15th, 2007  
Damien435

^^^ Motion Seconded.
February 15th, 2007  
Big_Z

Thats cute. Now they need to test their skills by getting back those Iranian officials we snatched.
February 15th, 2007  
phoenix80

And what does it mean? I mean lets assume that they could do it. what significance does that have? It means nothing
February 15th, 2007  
senojekips

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
And what does it mean? I mean lets assume that they could do it. what significance does that have? It means nothing
If it were true Phoenix, it would certainly raise a lot of questions about the vessel's security arrangements. However it seems odd to me that an enemy force would run the risks involved just to show that they could, would it not be more sensible from their point of view to take some explosive device, a limpet mine or whatever?
February 15th, 2007  
Damien435

PR, to prove that they could do it, show the world what they are capable of, however if the Iranians did do this (which I doubt given that they couldn't name the ship, what port it was in or even what country that port is a part of) they just threw away their best hand because now we know they can get near our ships and we will beef up security. Another glaring error can be found in this statement: "Nur Ali Shushkari, the head of the Revolutionary Guards ground forces, told Iranian pro-government news agencies that the symbol was etched onto the ship by the crew of a submarine that had managed to reach the U.S. vessel without detection by radar." Of course it would avoid detection by radar, it's a freakin submersible (I say submersible because a submarine is far too large to sneak into any port even under cover of darkness) and radar doesn't work too well under water.
February 16th, 2007  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
If it were true Phoenix, it would certainly raise a lot of questions about the vessel's security arrangements. However it seems odd to me that an enemy force would run the risks involved just to show that they could, would it not be more sensible from their point of view to take some explosive device, a limpet mine or whatever?
Agreed...