INTERESTING NUGGETS OF WW-2: BURMA CAMPAIGN - Page 2

--

June 7th, 2007  
roverin

THANKS SIR, THE GURKHAS WERE AND WILL ALWAYS BE PART OF OUR ARMY AND THE BRITISH INDIAN ARMY OUR HERITAGE AND LEGACY YOU WILL BE SURPRISED HOW JEALOUSLY WE PRIZE SOME OF OUR MIL TRADITIONS WHICH GOES BACK TO THOSE HOARY DAYS OF THE INDIAN ARMY IN ALL ITs SPLENDOUR DURING THE BRITISH RAJ.FROM WHAT I GATHER WE ARE MORE FUSSY AND STICKLERS OF THESE TRADITIONS THAN POSSIBLY THE BRITISH ARMY OF TODAY.
June 8th, 2007  
Del Boy

Roverin - indeed you are right. I believe our countries are linked forever in that respect, and your forces give great credit to those days. My father in law served 10 years 16-26 in India in the 1920/30s and was back there until 1939 when the war started - with the Wiltshire Regiment. My stepfather did same on the North-West frontier with the HLI. Their Albums of the forces there were wonderful, unfortunately now lost. Battalions on foot winding up through the passes, Highland ceremonial dancing, pipe and drum bands in full dress etc. As a kid, I really knew quite a lot about soldiering on the North West frontier, I promise you. I followed my Stepfather into his regiment, but got no further than a spell in the Suez canal zone.

But none better than The Ghurkas exist, I have to say.