"Inside the M1." (XM1,M1,M1A1,M1A2,M1A2 SEP,M1Griz - Page 3

--

February 8th, 2005  
Pete031

I am not a tanker, but I was an anti armor gunner for a while and everyone in the infantry does armored fighting vehicle recognition and stuff like that... I'm not sure that having a smoothbore or rifled cannon on a tank matters all that much these days with devices such as muzzle reference systems.
February 8th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete031
I am not a tanker, but I was an anti armor gunner for a while and everyone in the infantry does armored fighting vehicle recognition and stuff like that... I'm not sure that having a smoothbore or rifled cannon on a tank matters all that much these days with devices such as muzzle reference systems.
I don't think a rifled guns muzzle droop is anymore then a smoothbores, that only matters if a gun is longer. Early L55 guns had such a bad muzzle droop problems that the gun would be ruined.
February 8th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Well, if you want to fire a 120mm APFSDS round and you have a rifled 120mm your out of luck.

The British have a 120mm rifled gun and we have 120mm Smothbore we fire HEAT, Sabot, MPAT, and STAFF.

They fire HESH and I forget the rest.

Well smoothbores have a higher velocity.
--
February 8th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Airman Adam Seaman
Well, if you want to fire a 120mm APFSDS round and you have a rifled 120mm your out of luck.

The British have a 120mm rifled gun and we have 120mm Smothbore we fire HEAT, Sabot, MPAT, and STAFF.

They fire HESH and I forget the rest.

Well smoothbores have a higher velocity.
The have the CHARM3 and 30 which are APFSDS rounds.
February 8th, 2005  
SHERMAN

also, until the 120mm smoothbore came along, all western tanks used the british 105mm L7 or a similar USA 105mm, and those were rifled. The brits had a 120mm first, and it was the L11 120mm rifled on the Chieftain. So really, if they can shoot APFSDS(like Kozzy Mozzy said), they have no reason to change their main guns. The Americans chose a German main weapon, after they decided to put 120mm on their tanks. I dont know why. anyone knows?
February 8th, 2005  
Pete031

I'm not sure but I heard that The Challenger has a naval canon as its main armament.... Can anyone confirm?
February 8th, 2005  
Missileer

Here is an email I received today about a contract to upgrade the M1A1. About time.

NCS to Equip USMC Tanks with
New Night-Vision Sensors
NCS won a $32.5 million contract to equip
the U.S. Marines’ M1A1 tank with Firepower
Enhancement Program sensor kits.
The Firepower Enhancement Program
is a suite of upgrades for the M1A1 tank
that is unique to the Marine Corps and will
eventually equip its entire fleet of M1A1
tanks.
The FEP sensor kits will improve the Marines’
ability to engage targets accurately, 24/7,
in all weather conditions and at extended
ranges.
“Giving our troops the ability to ‘shoot the
enemy before he knows you’re there’ is one
way we can help them come home safely,”
said a Combat Systems VP.
A 1st Marine Division M1A1 Abrams tank crew settles in for the evening during a patrol
in Iraq. (picture)
February 8th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Speaking of USMC M1A1s, does anyone know anything about the infrared countermeasure device on the top of the turret that was deployed on some M1A1s in OIF?
February 10th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Yes. The smoke has chaff (small peices of tin foil) that interupt the signature and allow the M1 to make a get away.

Also we chose the german gun because we fire APFSDS-T rounds at a much higher velocity.

The British use DUKEC (Depleted Uranium Kinetic Energy Cartridges) not APFSDS rounds.

The M1 had the M68A1 Rifled Gun the M1A1/A1 have the M256 Smoothbore Gun.

Just a picture of the T28 from 1945. T28 Super Heavy Tank. American tank.
February 10th, 2005  
MadeInChina

id say a 125mm smoothbore missile/art launcher

you can fire sabot and missiles, very effective