Information on the Maybach HL 210- HL 230. - Page 2

--

July 28th, 2014  
MontyB

The Jumo 213 engine was designed for bombers but was eventually used in the FW 190D series of fighters.
August 12th, 2016  
Mousedeer

According to: http://www.oocities.org/desertfox189...chmalturm.html the experimental Maybach HL 234 engine (at least 800 hp) could replace the HL 230 motor but was not tested or installed in any tanks. Alternatively, I think aircraft engines could replace the engine of the Tiger I, Tiger II, Sturmtiger and Jagdtiger in the following ways:
(1) Two Argus As 410 engines (459 hp each for total of 918 hp).
(2) Two Hirth HM 512 engines (360 hp each for total of 720 hp) but the internal compartment may have to be rearranged or the tank made longer (and hopefully with sloped armor) because each engine is slightly longer than the Maybach HL 230 P30.
(3) A Junkers Jumo 204 engine (740 hp).
There could be other combinations. Another alternative is to mount better radiators, cooling system, and turbocharger (s) with fuel return line (so the fuel economy does not become worse) or other engine upgrades. The vehicles might need a little bulge built onto their hull to fix in the turbocharger to give perhaps about 13 hp boost. There are wartime armored fighting vehicles with two engines such as the M24 Chaffee and the M18 Hellcat. Anyway these are my suggestions for the "What if Germany upgraded their Tiger tanks' engine?"
August 13th, 2016  
MontyB

I agree, they certainly had options available.

Part of the problem in these ideas is that German production was already a complete mess with a myriad of vehicles and weapons to support it would probably have stretched them to the breaking point to incorporate more engine types and chassis adaptations.
--
August 14th, 2016  
JOC

The Germans had the widest variety of AFV's of any nation "many of which were the best in the war" in WW2 which created considerable problems from the repair and maintenance end. Why make things any worse?