Info on Marine SOF & etc.

UnrealChaos

Ok im just getting into the whole military thing so a ton of abbreviations might not be the best idea here when explaining. Whats the difference between Batallion Recon & Force Recon, what are the requirements for both, and what positions are there within each. This is simply a thread to answer some questions so I can gain some knowledge about this particular area of the military as I am quite interested in it.

Also what exactly is the top of the crop? Anyone know? I mean I do realize that every part of the military is as important as the other but theres all of these things from Navy Seals, Delta,Force Recon, and whatnot and although they are trained for different things sometimes as well as some similar things im wondering which one is really in the top zone.

Thank you for your time and answers everyone, this looks like a great and informative forum and im glad I found it. As I said im new to the military thing so tons of military abbreviations and ect would only make this harder for me. Thanks again for your time and I appreciate any questions that can be answered. :D

Also someone in the military was talking about a "fleet anti-terror unit they have going on." What is that. Obviously anti-terrorism but whats it's difference from the above mentioned things. :)

in the USMC a battalion is a group of people and force recon is a job.
top crop is whatever you want to think is the best, i would say force recon b/c i am biased towards the USMC and others would say SEALS and so on and so forth.

Ok well im considering joining the USMC, don't know why your biased towards them but I will leave that be. Ive been trying to look up information but, semi unsuprised have had a hard time looking for info on the Special Forces & Operations groups that are connected or branching from the USMC. (Not getting ahead of myself just curious about them). Also my father was a Sniper, & he was in some sort of Special Forces/Operations group in the USMC but before he passed away I didn't have that much interest in the subject. So basically what I am interested about now is...

1. What Special Forces & Operations groups are connected or branching from the USMC
2. What are their jobs usually
3. Which ones of those would most likely include a sniper and/or intel gathering of some sort and possibly have small tight night groups in which each person has a specialty for instance, you know, that covert stuff.
4. Whats this about the fleet Anti-terrorism thing I heard about, and how are they different from the other Special Operation groups.

Thanks again for your help and time guys! I know you will help me with alot of things on my way in and throughout! :D

TYVM futuredevildog

And I don't know what you guys are getting at with Marines but w/e, I asked for info on other things than why you dislike them. :p

Back