Infantry Anti-tank Weapons

View Poll Results :Most effective infantry anti-tank weapon?
Grenade 0 0%
Satchel charge 1 4.76%
Bazooka 0 0%
RPG 3 14.29%
LAW 8 38.10%
Dragon 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

--

June 14th, 2005  
bulldogg

Topic: Infantry Anti-tank Weapons

Please for other specify and remember this is limited to those weapons employed by infantry against tanks... ie flak guns dont count
June 14th, 2005  
ozmilman

I'd say the first two aren't that great and the last four all pretty much do the same thing, but i like the idea of the old stle LAW.

Rich
June 14th, 2005  
SHERMAN

a granade is not an anti tank weapon. its an anti personnel weapon.
--
June 14th, 2005  
bulldogg

Granted some of these may be similar but I think the rub lies in the "effectiveness".
I read a report recently that claimed the RPG has a shape charge that is capable of punching through the armour of ANY tank in use today. Surprising claim to me but I am not in possession of information to confirm or refute such.
But I do very clearly recall from basic training being told that the LAW was only effective by hitting the track or the rear of a tank. The range sergeant said something to the effect of it being the equivalent of throwing bb's at a Mack truck.

Yes, you are correct Sherman but they can be employed by infantry to disable a tank turret or track. Would you disagree?
June 14th, 2005  
SHERMAN

If i had a granade as my weapon and a tank as my target, i would seriously consider running away. admitedly, you can disable a tank with a granade, but that dose not happen much.

As to the RPG 7, , its original penetration capability was around 320mm of steel. The modern MBTs have the equivilent of around 500-1000 mm of steel, depending on the area of the tank. there arehowever two exeptions:
-Most of these MBTs have spots that are much thiner and if those are hit the RPG wll penetrate.
-There are new RPG warheads, that were made to penetrate modern armor...The include bigger shaped charges, tendom shaped charges(to deal with reactive armor and so called "cages") and so on....
June 14th, 2005  
bulldogg

It must be one of these new RPG heads that was being discussed in the article because it did mention a shaped charge. The article did not however make it clear that there are several different possibile warheads(?) available with the RPG.
June 14th, 2005  
SHERMAN

the original RPG is a shaped charge. It is a small one, but a shaped charge non the less. Like I said, the RPG is so common that many countrys made special warheads for it, with diffrent cpabilities. This includes(but is not ilimited to): Israel, China, Switzerland, Russia....
June 14th, 2005  
Armyjaeger

One very effective infantry anti tank weapon is missing from that poll list, guess what it is...that's right the anti tank mine
as for what goes to LAW and RPG, you could knock out a vehicle such as BMP but that's just about it against a battle tank I would consider hiding somewhere.
June 14th, 2005  
AussieNick

Right firstly maybe the poll should have included something more modern, like the TOW, or Javelin system, or even the MILAN system or the Carl Gustav 84mm.
With that in mind I'd say the Javelin system.
As for the 66 LAW, that's a joke. Nobody in their right mind would use that against modern armour. Same with grenades, satchel charges or a "Bazooka".
June 14th, 2005  
SHERMAN

Well, the law 66 or the RPG 7, if launched at the right place or from the right angle, can give the tank a very blood nose. If we are to include ATGWs, i would go with the Israeli Gil/Spike ATGWs family.