Indian Akula II submarine in the water

Lunatik

hakbgaaba.jpg

Another important product of increasing Russian-Indian military cooperation. A 9,500 ton nuclear submarine!

And soon there will be two of them. Over 300 Indian Navy officers are being trained in Russia for the operation of these submarines.

:m16:

Last edited:
I don't like it. Not to offend anyone, but smaller and less stable countries with that kind of military hardware just creeps me out. Oh well, I'm sure there's a couple of 688s out there tailing it already...

Smaller country? India's population is about 4 times that of the United States and its firepower (even with the nukes) is in no way comparable to ours. There's really nothing to creep out about.

Last edited:
Smaller country? India's population is about 4 times that of the United States and its firepower (even with the nukes) is in no way comparable to ours. There's really nothing to creep out about.

Smaller militarily, not population-wise, and my concern is more global than US-based. Akulas are very quiet, supposedly as quiet as our Seawolf-class, and the Indian version, from what I recall, is supposed to carry nuclear-capable missiles with a range of almost 200 miles. It's a lot of technology to give to a fairly recent nuclear power with a close enemy right next door.

I'm not too worried about India trying to become bullies in their neighborhood. India tends to be pretty good about those things and they'll have the Chinese to deal with anyway.

Back